1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan - NTSC Only ????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jerkyboy, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am confused my my some DVD players, mainly the ones from Panasonic and Pioneer only do Progressive Scan in NTSC.

What is the point if the player is not multi region ?.

Obviously they can be made multiregion, but I dont understand why they would advertise such a feature if you need to upgrade the machins in order to use it.

Am I being stupid ????.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    This is the same for so many players. NTSC dvds aren't all region restricted but the ones that aren't are mainly cheap commercial pirate dvds from china or home made pirate copies! So basically it promotes pirate dvds if the player isn't multiregion.

I suppose the reality is its just a feature that was on the american model that hasn't been removed when the uk version is released.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Some players will still output an NTSC progressive signal (480p), even if you use a PAL disc.

My Phillips, for example, does just that - regardless of the region coding on the disc, it always delivers 480p out of it's component outputs (there's a hack for PAL progressive, but I don't use that).

And, I'd guess, many slightly older players pre-date the (official) PAL progressive standard.

Cheers, Carl.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There are NTSC region 0 discs and a firmware upgrade is often all that is needed to make them PAL PS or MR

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not to mention that Japanese R2 discs are NTSC. So if you have a UK R2 player you can also watch your fav Japanese shows in progressive scan. ;)

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon told me it's because they designed the player to output NTSC Progressive with PAL Sources...

Or they designed it primarily for the US and Japanese markets and couldn't be bothered to change it - beyond a scart - for the European.