1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan - is it worth it

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazza30, Sep 25, 2004.

1. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I be that bothered abut getting a DVD recorder with progressive scan output capability. Does it make that much of a difference in picture quality. Is it only useful for large (eg. 42 inch +) plasma displays or would I notice a difference on a 32/36 inch CRT TV with component/progressive compatibility. Also, this may be a dumb question but is progressive scan only compatible with pre-recorded DVD movies, or would I notice a difference with stuff I have recorded onto the HDD or DVD myself.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    It depends how good the deinterlacer is in the display device compared to the deinterlacer in the DVD player. Do you have specific models in mind? If so, do you have the specs for the deinterlacers?

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    you will notice the image wont flicker anywhere near as much

4. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to decide which DVD recorder is best suited to my needs. I currently have a 4:3 28 inch Toshiba TV but I may be upgrading soon to a 32/36 inch model (possibly with component input) or even a plasma (if I can talk my wife into it). I tend not to buy/rent that many DVD movies, the recorder will mainly be used for watching stuff I have recorded off Sky TV. So I guess my real question is, would progressive scan be an improvement for watching SKY/broadcast recordings, or does it only come into play when watching pre-recorded DVDs.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Well, most plasmas display progressively (except for the Fujitsus with their ALIS panels), so the plasma will have a deinterlacer built-in. I have a Panasonic PWD6 and the de-interlacer isn't half bad. Whether the picture looked better with a progressive scan DVD player would depend on whether the DVD player does a better job of deinterlacing than the plasma.

What you're doing is choosing between these two scenarios:

DVD player ------interlaced----------> Plasma de-interlacer -> Plasma Panel
    DVD player -> DVD de-interlacer --------progressive---------> Plasma Panel

either way, the picture displayed is progressive.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 36 inch toshiba that accepts component input with progressive scan and have just bought a pannasonic e65 recorder because it has this feature. However when I sat it up it says in the manual that progressive scan is not recommended with CRT televisions as you may well get flicker round the edge. If you do -turn progressive off but I have not had chance to try this yet, It says p.s. is for plasma and projectors only. Having said all that, component output of dvd's is fantastic.

7. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panny tx32ph40 bought 2 yrs ago which despite its reviews have been pleased with when watching dvd's freeview etc. Just recently bought panny e85 recorder with prog scan and am seriously impressed when watching dvd's so I would say it is worth it and this is with a telly that was slated when it came out.

8. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So let me get this right, if I have a display (CRT or plasma) which has progressive capability, I don't need a DVD recorder that gives progressive output because the TV will do that for me. I was under the impression that you needed both progressive output from the DVD and a progressive compatible TV. If it's just a case of having one or the other then that will help me decide what I need to get. Also, back to one of my original questions, does progressive scan only make a difference on pre-recorded DVDs, or would I see an improvement on stuff I have recorded onto the HDD. People seem to have differing opinions on whether progressive scan makes that much difference at all.

9. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on my panny ph40 tv you can select progressive scan rather than 100hz but this results in a slight flicker if the source is not progressive. I still think it looks better though. With my dvd recorder connected via component cables and progressive output enabled on the dvd the flicker disappears and the picture has a very cinema like look to it. To answer your other question I think your telly if it s a CRT needs to be progressive compatible to accept a progressive input. With programmes you have recorded on the HDD I'm not entirely convinced that the progressive output is any better or any worse. hope this helps

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You don't need a DVD player with progressive output if the display has progressive capability. But, you might want a DVD player with progressive output if the DVD player's de-interlacer is better than the display device's
    It's no good having a PS DVD player if the display device does not have PS inputs (almost always on component inputs - but not all component inputs support PS). But, you can get a progressive picture with a PS display device and a DVD player with only interlaced output (which is what I have) - with the caveat above.
    A decent deinterlacer should be able to reconstruct film-based material in the correct manner, whether it's from DVD or Sky, because it will analyze the picture to determine whether it needs to do 2:2 or 3:2 pulldown, rather than using the progressive flag on a DVD.
    Well, how much difference it makes is a subjective thing. The only way to decide is to arrange a demo and look for yourself.

Cheers,
    Liam

11. Wharfman3

Wharfman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really newbie question- is progressive scan only available with componenet conections?

12. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh 42PW23 RPTV - it does not make its own progressive image. However if i connect a progressive DVD player will i get a progressive image ?

13. steveho

steveho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    panasonic 42pe30b + panasonic dmre-95

i cannot see any difference between the component progressive connection and the rgb equipped scart connection

steve

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yes (if you're talking analogue - digital HDMI connectors can also send a PS signal).
    No.

If you want to learn more about progressive scan, you could do worse than read some of the posts in the Progressive Scan Forum. It took me a little while to get my head round it, but it's actually fairly straightforward.

Hope this helps,
    Liam

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on most TV's yes also available on VGA for plasma and PJ use