Progressive scan is allways 50hz on a CRT ?

JoseD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've had a Toshiba 36ZP46 wich when feed a progressive scan signal (using a component cable) from a Panasonic EH60 player would allways flicker when compared to using RGB. Is this because the Toshiba's processing doesn't double the scan rate, or is there something that can be done ?
Is there any set that diplays more than 50Hz when using a ProgScan source ?

Regs
José

That's one of the reasons why people went to interlace - to stop large area flicker....

Forget about progressive scan. In general it seems to offer an improvement only on LCD sets with truly ghastly analog inputs.

Hi JOse

Dont know if this helps but quoting from Tosh 36ZP46/48 TV manual under Scan Modes in relation to TV inherent Prog Scan setting :
"Progressive has 50hz vertical scan but the equivalent of 100hz horizontal scan"

Not being a technical wiz (more of a clutz) I still think using Prog Scan Component Inputs (YUV) bypasses the TVs scan modes anyhow but dont know what Hz the resuting image is ? all I can say is that my picture using Comp Inputs is superior (both overall and certainly with flicker/steadiness) to to RGB connection and thats both with my current Samsung HD950 and my older Panasonic S49.

Cheers

Hi. I've had a Toshiba 36ZP46 wich when feed a progressive scan signal (using a component cable) from a Panasonic EH60 player would allways flicker when compared to using RGB. Is this because the Toshiba's processing doesn't double the scan rate, or is there something that can be done ?

The Panasonic PD30/50 series is exactly the same. Processing at 50Hz instead of the standard american 60Hz which on UK mains causes flicker. However on component input via DVD using progressive out from the DVD flicker certainly is not noticable.

Right, I guess theoretically it should be possible to double the frequency but the cost/benefit probably didn't justify it.
IMHO a good plasma now provides the best picture since it doensn't flicker like a CRT and high end CRTs have scaling anyway, problem is that plasmas are dead expensive. LCD's suck, when I bought the Tosh it was near various high end LCD's and the picture, specially black level were so much better without any mosquito etc. artifacts.

The Hz in prog scan mode depends on the source material. For PAL it will be 50Hz, for NTSC it will be 60Hz. A lot of people see flicker at 50Hz on larger screens, so 100Hz interlaced is the best option for them. Most people won't notice any flicker at 60Hz however, so if you're watching NTSC material it will be best to use prog scan.

So Sgt Steiner is probably using a 60hz input from DVD players, can you confirm that ?
All I can say is that it's really odd that the image doesn't flicker on his set using component, compared o RGB cause in my case it was exactly the contrary!!:eek: The component input was very good but it flickered like hell on images whith big bright areas.

Heck, if component didn't flicker I'd even go back to the shop and get the set back if they still have it:)

I get the flicker too on my Panny 36PL32 when on prog scan from my dvd player...but when using NTSC discs the flicker is a lot worse, and the picture moves around on the screen (as in film titles or still images). Could this be because my DVD player outputs PAL-60 rather than true NTSC?

So Sgt Steiner is probably using a 60hz input from DVD players, can you confirm that ?
All I can say is that it's really odd that the image doesn't flicker on his set using component, compared o RGB cause in my case it was exactly the contrary!!:eek: The component input was very good but it flickered like hell on images whith big bright areas.

Heck, if component didn't flicker I'd even go back to the shop and get the set back if they still have it:)

If the white level (contrast) is set correctly the 50Hz flicker shouldn't be that noticable even on large bright areas.

If the white level (contrast) is set correctly the 50Hz flicker shouldn't be that noticable even on large bright areas.
That view depends entirely on your susceptibility to flicker :smashin:

I can't look at anything less than 75Hz without it bugging me after a couple of mins. :thumbsdow

I've switched back to interlace... I figure my "£1700" TV is probably as good at coding up to 100Hz as my "£600" DVD player is at coding the progressive scan. Certainly very little, if any difference in picture quality.

It is almost universally a choice between 50Hz progressive or 100Hz interlaced as they have the same line rate - they both display the same number of lines per second, but in different ways.

576/50i has a line rate of 15.625kHz
576/50p has a line rate of 31.25kHz
576/100i has a line rate of 31.25kHz

576/100p would have a line rate of 62.5kHz - which is VERY high and would need a more expensive scan system, power supply etc. to deliver as bright a picture as a conventional 50Hz or 100Hz set.

(For info 1080/50i has a line rate of 28.125kHz and 720/50p a line rate of 37.5kHz)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom