1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan How to Access

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bass007, Jul 29, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of gettinng the pioneer 575, I was wondering I have a normal widscreen TV, How do I access the Progressive Scan image? can I only do this throught a plasma or projector? or can I use a component to scart cable?

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    You would need a progressive enabled monitor, such as lcd, plasma, pj or the new wave of crt sets.

Component out to component in sadly.

As far as I am aware, you cannot get progressive from a scart socket.

Cap :)

3. WScarlet

WScarlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    do all lcd, plasma, pj's have progressive scan then?

4. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not all LCD, plasma screens and projectors have the ability to accept a progressively scanned component input, no - although there are relatively few that won't, mainly in the smaller LCD camp. Watch out for display devices that can accept de-interlaced NTSC signals, but can't handle de-interlaced PAL signals - again, not to common these days.

Some display devices have also have some sort of de-interlacing capability built into them as well, but this is generally not as good as the de-interlacing you would get inside the DVD player - but as ever, try it both ways to see which is best.

You may want to look at buying a dedicated stand-alone de-interlacer/scaler (such as those made by DVDO, Cinemateq and Lumagen to name a few), as your other sources would then also benefit from being de-interlaced (and scaled) in a much better way than your LCD/plasma/proj could ever hope to achieve.

But I guess the first step for you is to buy a screen that can accept a progressive input! :)

5. WScarlet

WScarlet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the info simon i have a plasma tv which now i know will do progressive scan just need a dvd player with progressive scan :/ (not long bought a new dvd player but it doesnt support progressive scan :()

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Well, thats a bummer, I really don't know why manufactures spend their budget on progressive scan on budget machines, wouldn't the money be better spent on an internal scaler? or would I need a plasma or Projector again to reap the benefits?

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yep, thats about it

8. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starting from the bottom (of your post) and working up:

If your current TV only has SCART inputs, then the only signal it is going to accept is RGB (of the SCART variety). This rules out any sort of de-interlacing/scaling malarkey.

You need a display device that can accept a YPbPr input (commonly called component video) to accept a progressively scanned signal - but see my initial caveat above.

All LCD/plasma/fixed pixel projectors have an internal scaler, as they need to be able to convert the incoming signal to their natural resolution (e.g. a Sim2 HT300 accepting a YPbPr interlaced PAL signal will need to de-interlace it and then scale it up to 720 lines).

Manufacturers spend money on progressive scan for two reasons: 1) It is now cheap to implement; 2) It is a perceived customer need - even for those with progressive scan-incompatible display devices such as traditional CRT televisions ;)

[An internal scaler (in the DVD player) would make very little commerical sense - it would need to be software configurable to comply with all the different display devices on the market (i.e all the different display resolutions), and would be too complex for the mass market. Hence the existence of such companies as Cinemateq, DVDO and Lumagen.]

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

except for the fact that most now offer a DVD player with an internal scaler. but for only the 3 most common reses

10. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? I wasn't aware of any!

11. Phil55

Phil55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand this, my cheap supermarket DVD player can do progressive scan apparently as it says so much on the front. I run an s video cable to my Philips PW9618 and switch the source on the DVD player to NTSC and sure enough under digital options on my TV it has changed to progressive scan. Niether my TV or DVD has any component sockets but clearly they have progressive scan. Am I missing something?

By the way if anyone can tell me how to get into the service menu on this that would be great.

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

Pioneer 868i.
    Denon A11

just to name 2 (oh and the samsung units as well as bravo etc)

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    You need component inputs for progressive scan (or dvi-HDMI) Progressive does not pass over supervideo or scart.

the philips tv you have does a psuedo NTSC progressive type thing. if you look on the web for your tv you will see it does not do progressive scan, but 100mhz digital scan
    and does its own kind of trickery to line double(pixel plus..yes?)

14. Phil55

Phil55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gandley, thanks for you reply.

All I know as I’m relatively new to this is that I have a DVD player claiming to do progressive scan and a TV that automatically changes from 100 Hz digital scan to progressive scan on it’s on screen menu when the DVD player is set to NTSC. Pixel plus is not selected. This all on s video. Why should the DVD player claim to have this capability and have no way to output it as it has no component out and why should the TV put progressive scan on its display if it also can not do this?
    This seems bizarre.

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I agree it does sound a bit strange,,and i dont want to say your wrong coz i dont own those products you have, but it would be a first for me if your right

16. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi again, just a thought, since I cannot access the Prog.Scan image without a suitable display that accepts the signal, would it be possible to connect the DVD Player via the component into my Home Cinema Reciver which accepts Progressive and monitor it Via S-Video? I should then be getting a better picture right?

17. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    depends.

As the component signal will be down graded to SVHS.(and thus back to interlaced and not progressive)
    this could cause the signal to be worse than going straight SVHS from dvd player to tv.
    The amp adds another link in the chain so signal could be weekend further and picture quality lost.
    also depends on the quality of signal conversion from component to svhs that the amp will perform.

I think you would get a better pic just going staight from dvd player to TV via SVHS if your tv cant do progressive.
    (do you not have RGB scart input?)