Progressive scan how much improvement?

WScarlet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I currently have a mz-42pz14 plasma tv and a toshiba sd330 dvd player connected via component, now i know the tv is capable of progressive scan from reading the manual and the dvd player isn't how big of a differents is the PQ ie is it worth me upgrading to a dvd progressive dvd player?

P.S I'm a poor man so it must be worth it ;)

WScarlet said:
Hi
I currently have a mz-42pz14 plasma tv and a toshiba sd330 dvd player connected via component, now i know the tv is capable of progressive scan from reading the manual and the dvd player isn't how big of a differents is the PQ ie is it worth me upgrading to a dvd progressive dvd player?

P.S I'm a poor man so it must be worth it ;)
Progressive is stunning, make sure you get a good set of component leads, ie, Thor.

hmmmm that good? i have Profigold PGV332 1.5m Component Video Cable, they are good enough? so just need to upgrade my dvd player?

It's no good just rushing out and buying the cheapest prog scan player, you might not see any difference at all. Your plasma already contains a deinterlacer, you need to buy a player with a better deinterlacer than the one you already own. A Denon 2900 I'd be happy to promise you'd see the difference, a cambridge DV55 at £119, I don't know, you might do. I hope that helps you understand the problem.

MAW, I'll probably be getting one at the weekend, to go with my TH42PE30. I was thinking of getting the Panasonic recordable, the 55, would there been any issues?

The E55 will not have any issues with the PE30, it only might have a 'better' deinterlacer, or it might of course be exactly the same.... Not completely unlikely at this kind of price level. But hey, where's the problem in that. It'll give you fine pictures.

What you need to realise is that a GOOD interlaced will be better than a poorly de-interlaced picture.
Trial and error is the only I think you'll find. Some of the budget PS players are not worth the hassle...I should know, I've had a few.
I now run a Pioneer 565a through an external scaler and the picture is pretty spot on...
Another question you need to ask...Do I need progressive scan...? Take a closer look at you interlaced picture through your Toshiba...particularly at things like venetian blinds and brick walls in bright sunlight. Do they move at all? Are the lines on the blinds perfectly straight? Or do they appear jaggy? Does the brick wall look like bricks...or does it look like there are ants crawling all over it...? A frames on cars are another good thing to look at as well...where the back and front doors join...does it shimmer...? Or can you see the join clearly?
If the answer to all the above is "I can't see jaggies por shimmering...and there's no ants on the wall..." I'd say you're pretty much spot on and I'd leave well alone. As MAW has already pointed out, to improve it, you'd have to spend mega bucks on a top DVD player...probably an Arcam or the like...or even the Denon 2900 or A1.
Good luck and have some fun playing... :thumbsup: :devil:

Thanks guys some interesting reading there, i must say myself my PQ is really good but i'm always open to improving anythink but sounds like it will mean spending money on a £100 plus dvd player which i can't really afford atm, guess i'll stick to what i've got for now.

thanks for explaining

I've just changed from a Yamaha S540 to an Arcam DV79 and the difference in the progressive scan picture is amazing but them the Arcam costs a huge amount more than the Yamaha so you'd probably expect the difference.

John

MAW I've got a Denon 2800MkII, I've not had my plasma for more of a week so not really watched any DVD's on it, however I did use K-Pax R1 with progressive scan switched on as a demo and the picture was nothing short of stunning! As I say I've not viewed any R2 movies yet but will they not be up to the quality of my R1 discs now? (bit of a role reversal if that is the case!)

It has been suggested to me that I sell my 2800 and get the 2900. Would it really be worth swapping for such a similar machine which is basically identical apart from the option of PAL Progressive?

Sell it? personally not, I'd save up for an iscan HD as an upgrade path, provided your plasma has a suitable input, you don't say what the panel is. If it's a TV type, with no decent scaler input, trade the dvd but don't rush, see what it looks like, and try and get a home demo of a 2900 before shelling out. If it's a PW6 or similar, or even better a Pioneer MX or PHD6 panny, save up for the scaler. It will do wonders for your TV picture then as well, so money well spent.

MAW's gonna think he's got a stalker!! :rolleyes: :devil: :D
I would carry out a search on these forums for the Denon 2800mkII and the problems it has with pal progressive software...it totally put me off buying one yesterday TBH (depends on firmware etc...)...but running it through an external scaler will work wonders. And there's none better than the iscan HD :thumbsup:

MAW said:
Sell it? personally not, I'd save up for an iscan HD as an upgrade path, provided your plasma has a suitable input, you don't say what the panel is. If it's a TV type, with no decent scaler input, trade the dvd but don't rush, see what it looks like, and try and get a home demo of a 2900 before shelling out. If it's a PW6 or similar, or even better a Pioneer MX or PHD6 panny, save up for the scaler. It will do wonders for your TV picture then as well, so money well spent.

It's a PW6, the friend that suggested it owns a 2900 and said he would bring it round to compare if I wanted, but I'm scared of doing that in case I do notice a big difference! lol

He actually bought a 2800 with me because it was on special offer but his developed a fault after a few months and got to trade for a 2900 (though I think he had to pay some extra towards it)

I have no problems with mine as I got the good working multi-region firmware (no Saving Private Ryan judder etc). I thought the 2800MkII current do PAL progressive, are you telling me it's a firmware upgrade? :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom