1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan help needed please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sweetdiggity, Jul 31, 2004.

1. sweetdiggity

sweetdiggity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I hope someone can explain this to me so I can understand it:

I have just bought a Pana PW6 and a Nad T562 DVD player.

Now... I would like to take advantage of the progresive scan possibility, will I need to buy a Component Out / VGA cable in order to use this function?

Like this: http://www.dvdcity.com/video/sw-media-vga-rca.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now...I'm not familiar with either piece of kit...but the link you have posted says that it will work, though IMHO, I'm sure that what you will be seeing will not be a progressive picture. What you'll see will be an interlaced picture...
    To take full advantage of the Panny progressive feature, you'll need to purchase a component board...

3. sweetdiggity

sweetdiggity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, quick add-on question:

If I buy the ty-42tm6a board and I have the Nad t562 player, do I need to buy a BNC 2 BNC component cable, this might be a dumb question, but I am a total newbie.

thanks again.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The cable and idea is just fine, the Panasonic will accept progressive via the PC input. If the colours are all funny, or no picture, press 'setup' on the remote, and make sure 'component' is set in the top box, not RGB

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Nah, just get an YUV component to 15 pin D Sub cable from anywhere and plug it into the PC port and it will happily accept a progressive scan signal.

Mine does :) (fed from an Arcam DV88+)

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    sweetdiggity

As others have said the HD15 (VGA) Input on your PW6B Display will accept RGBHV or YUV signals (Interlaced or Progressive).

As your DVD player is outputting Progressive YUV via its 3RCA 'Component' Output then yes a 3RCA to HD15 cable will do the trick - though some cables are better than others; we all have our favourites!

First question to answer before you go 3RCA to HD15 is if you plan to use a PC with the system or not - if No then fine go with your initial idea if Yes (and its an analogue VGA output) then better to add the TY-42TM6AB 'Component' Input board and a decent 3RCA to 3BNC cable between the DVD player and the Display.

Best regards

Joe