1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan flicker..?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SimonO, Jun 9, 2003.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have a Toshiba 36ZP38 36" CRT TV that should take a PAL progressive input, however I watch most stuff via the 'natural' 100Hz setting as I hate the flicker associated with 50/60Hz...

The set also has 'progress' (progressive) mode which is termed 'pseudo' which seems to be 50/60Hz and flickers..!

If I buy a progressive scan DVD player, will it only run at 50/60Hz and flicker..? Or is the flicker more a product of the interlaced scanning..?

I my be way off track here, so if someone could set me straight...

Cheers...

2. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In progressive scan mode and when using a progressive scan signal from a DVD player, your TV will scan at either 50Hz or 60Hz depending upon the source.

60Hz has about half the percieved flicker of 50Hz but either way you will notice less flicker with progressive at 50Hz when compared with interlaced at 50Hz, this is because progressive scanning shouldn't suffer line flicker although large area flicker for each will be the same.

There are no domestic TVs available now (AFAIK) that scan higher than 60Hz in progressive mode although I get the impression there will be in the next few years. (most likely 75Hz for PAL sources).

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the info...