1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan - few Q's

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by j3t, Jun 29, 2002.

1. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Fujitsu plasma screen and am currently using a Pioneer DV-545 through Svideo. Naturally I want to upgrade my DVD player to Progressive Scan. I have a few questions though.

1) Can you recommend a good player? Ive looked at the Pioneer 747, Arcam DV88 and Denon 2800 players so far.

2) The Arcam interests me greatly as my whole set up consists of Arcam hifi, I would like it to be multiregion as I buy mostly region 1 DVDs, is there a chip/hack/firmware upgrade for UK models that would let me view any R1 dvd?

3) Again concerning the Arcam, am I right in thinking I have to purchase an upgrade unit in order to get a NTSC PS output?

4) Im yet to properly demo PS, what can I expect in terms of quality over Svideo/RGB - The only problem I have with my plasma is that dark areas appear grainy at times, would the player improve this?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Graininess in dark areas is a problem with plasma technology. Even the best models like the Panasonic's suffer a little from this...It's doubtful that a prog scan DVD will help. It will fix lots of other probs though.

The Arcam will require the addition of the prog scan board. It should be a relatively easy task for yourself or your dealer to find out how to hack the unit to do pal prog and also region free playback.

You MUST check that your plasma will accept a YPrPb progressive PAL and NTSC signal in before purchasing as not all units will.

Gordon

3. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information. Ive been trying to obtain a price for the Progressive Scan upgrade, do you have any idea?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I think it's about £360 ish. An Arcam dealer should be able to call Arcam and get a price within about 5 minutes...or even look up their own price list.

Gordon
    before you ask I'm at home...no price list..and it's Sunday...

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665