1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan dvd recorders for Philips 37pf9986

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevie_velvet, Dec 14, 2004.

1. stevie_velvet

stevie_velvet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...anyone know of any

i'm looking to get progrssive scan to Philips 37pf9986 LCD

i'v asked around about wether the sony rdr-gxd500 has the capapbility on the dvd recorder forums, as some sources say yes and other say no & the sony ukwebsite is poor

the DVI connector is for a PC, so looking to get the best possible picture form this unit, which means progresssive scan over a SCART-Component connector, unless someelse has any ideas

cheerz

------------------
    stevie velvet (ms.)

2. davyc

davyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I an wanting to connect a Panasonic DVD recorder/player to Philips LCD tv to invoke Progressive Scan. No information in the tv manual. Email from Philips gives this info which they were not prepared to enlarge upon:

"To take advantage of the progressive scan function is a case of its connection to the unit you want to use with it. If for example you want to connect it to your dvd player you would require the following the lead: Component to VGA, VGA to DVI. This lead connect to the dvi connection on the back of your television."
    The Component output on the DVD is 3 phono sockets.
    Can anyone elaborate on this. Why should it be necessary to involve VGA connectors - would a phono to DVI lead not do? Or is it more complicated than this?
    Is there likely to be any real advantage in having Progressive scan functioning?
    Stevie - what did you use for connection?
    Dave

3. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure you are have posted in the right section for answers to these questions, Jisman in the LCD forums is the resident expert in all things 9986.

The 9986 since its launch has had many critics due to its lack of connectivity. There are no specific component inputs on the screen and indeed older models could not accept component over the DVI input. This was subsequently updated in later models. Philips started to supply a component to VGA cable and VGA to DVI adapter with the 9986 as standard. I have connected DVD players this way before and it does work reasonably well if a little fiddly to set up but the quality seemed good.

I know that when I send a progressive output to my 9986 from a budget Pioneer progressive scan DVD player there is certainly no improvement in picture quality over going in over good quality scart and letting the TV processing do the work.

How more expensive players would compare I don't know.

I hope this has been of some help.

Tir