1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wraith, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a Progressive Scan DVD recorder to go with a Toshiba 32zp38.

I had decided on getting the Toshiba DR-1 as this fitted my requirements. But the lack of a RGB input is really nagging at me.

Also i am wondering whether or not a DVD recorder with a HDD would be better. Sky+ should be installed shortly so i cant decide whether or not a HDD recorder is necessary.

I will probably do most editing on my PC.

So what i am looking for is.

Progressive Scan (PS)
    RGB input
    DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    HDD (Optional)
    Multiregion (Optional)

While looking around i could only find DVD recorders with either PS or RGB input never with both together.

Any ideas as to what would be my best purchase?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Unfortunately your going have to compromise somewhere on your specifications as no DVD recorder currently does all that :(

Progessive Scan
    The upcoming Panasonic E85 offers PAL Progressive Scan:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre85/dmr-e85h.htm
    The JVC DRM1 offers PAL Progressive. The new Panasonic E55, Panasonic E65 and Panasonic E75 (DVD/VHS combo) will offer PAL Progressive.

RGB Input
    The only RGB input compatible models are those from Panasonic, Philips and Sony.

DVD-R
    You'll find this on all DVD-RAM and DVD-RW machines so no worries there. If you want to archive editted recordings though you'll need a HDD model - see my comments below.

DVD-RW
    Here's the sticking point - the only RGB input capable -RW machine is the Sony GX3 and GX7. The trouble is to use the component output you have to disable the RGB input :eek: No Progressive Scan from the Sony either! Other DVD-RW machines such as the Toshiba DR1 and JVC DMR1 are good but lack the RGB input you desire.

HDD
    There are currently no RGB input enabled recorders capable of recording to DVD-RW. The only HDD/DVDR combos with RGB input are the Panasonic E100 and Panasonic HS2. The Panasonic E85 should be available shortly (a budget E100).

There are a few questions you need to ask yourself here - "Do you want to make editted archivings of recorded material on disks that are compatible with other DVD players?"

If the answer is no then you don't need a HDD model! If the answer is yes then you must either get a HDD/DVDR combo or go for one of the "other options", i.e. a standalone DVD recorder and a PC DVD burner (see the Guides I posted in the sticky thread "PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R)".

3. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak i was looking at the Panny E85, is this not the replacment for the E100. As the E100 is called the E80 in the US. Thought it would probably be a bit expensive though. It also means i will have to wait for its release

I will do all my archive stuff on my pc using a pioneer 107. So i think ill stick with the DR-1 and sacrifice the RGB input.

I just didnt want to spend the cash just to find out there was a prog scan recorder with rgb that i hadnt heard about.

But the DR-1 being under £300 is a big bonus so if in a few years when things have moved on and i need to upgrade it will be no great loss.

I think the only media i will use is the -RW just to move stuff from sky+ to pc then archive to -R. then wipe the -RW and start again

Thanks for you help :D

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    No - it's replacing the HS2. Panasonic plan to have two HDD/DVDR combo available at anyone time: a cheap model (the E85) and an all-singing-all-dancing model (the E100). The E100 will be replaced later in the year with another model (probably titled the E200).

The E85 has no PC or SD Card slot, no iLink, no HighMAT playback etc. The E100 replacement will feature all of these as well as 5.1 DVD-Audio and several, as of yet, unconfirmed extras. It will NOT have the GEMSTAR Guideplus though as this is not regarded as "reliable" enough in the UK :(

Fair enough. You will need to check it out but your drive should be capable of reading DVD-RAM disks. Obviously you can use these in your Toshiba DR1 but have you also thought of the Panasonic E55 or Panasonic E65 (both with PAL progressive scan)? Whatever you'll generally find editting on a set-top can be somewhat easier than on a PC.

5. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer 107 can read Ram disks i really only need something to empty my sky+ HDD.

Sounds like i will have to use the editing on the Tosh, but thats what its there for.

Then just use my PC for writing to -R once editing on the Ram disk is complete.

Like everything it will take me a while to get used to everything. Sky+ is coming next week so ill have to learn to use that first.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are happy with the pc route for editing then it is a wise choice you have made

the rgb input imo is insignificant once you record at a rate beyond XP. There was a lengthy thread here about the DMR1.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    As I stated in the other thread that is a very, very subjective opinion and all depends on your setup. Certainly on my TV (a 50" Panasonic 6 series plasma) the difference is remarkable. I have done RGB and S-Video comparison DVD-Rs for several people on the forums and some stated they could see a major difference and some none at all. I would hazard a guess the ones that can are those with Plasmas and projectors.

The Toshiba machines are very good at S-Video - no doubt about that. But if you compare them to an equal generation RGB source (such as the Panasonic E50) they are left standing IMHO.

8. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen a 55 & 65 on avland but its not out yet, and there is no price. Any ideas where can get one from.

Also on avlands 65 page

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre65/dmr-e65.htm

It sais for more info about the E70h email here. on the right hand side, which is it called? is this just an error on their site

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny will be launching new models in March/April but i would guess stock will be tight to start with.

10. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Horny Dragon any idea what the prices will be?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Probably the same as current models 2 months ago (retail prices that is not online)

12. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So they will be £500 plus.

As the Tosh DR-1 is £300, thats like paying £200 for an rgb input.

so i still think ill stick with the Tosh DR-1 and sacrifice the rgb input i dont think rgb is worth that much.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I mean £350+ retail on an E50 at the moment is just over £300 so expect new models to be the same sort of price, rarely can a manufacturer push the price for a new model up that much without serious upgrades ie larger HD etc, these are more updates. Buy now and hope or wait and see!

14. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well for £50 then i may just wait and see.

I would much preffer a recorder with rgb in and prog scan.

Cheers for the help. :clap: