1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan DVD players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bluenose1878, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a new DVD player, could someone please tell me if Progressive scan DVD players will work with CRT televisions?
    I'm not too sure what progressive scan is but i think i read somewhere that its used for Plasma and LCD tv's but i don't know anything about it. If they will work with CRT televisions will i see any improvement in the picture over non-progressived scan dvd players?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Some high end CRT televisions are progressive scan compatible. Some of the older ones just do ntsc and later models do both. They use component sockets for the progressive signal normally although there are a few models about that take a vga signal which is also progressive just like PC monitors.

Plasma and LCD displays work progressively anyway or possibly in a cellular screen update. So even if you feed them a interlace signal it ends up as progressive on screen.

My Panasonic AE100 projector (LCD based) always gives out a progressive display either processed internally or processed in the dvd player. Its normally better when the dvd player creates the progressive signal.

Also some televisions create their own progressive display like Philips Pixelplus even though they only accept interlace signals.

Progressive at its best gives a more natural image with more natural lines around objects. Interlace tends to create false detail and staggered lines. Progressive brings you closer to the quality of the original cinema film print. Thats the theory anyway in practice results can vary. Your own eyes are the real test.

3. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, my tv is CRT Toshiba and about 8 years old so it's not a progressive scan tv.
    Will a progressive scan DVD player work on the tv tho?
    Thanks again...

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Yeah all progressive scan dvd players still give out interlace as well as progressive.

5. Bluenose1878

Bluenose1878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks....