1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan DVD Player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by troymcclure, Jan 29, 2004.

1. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GOT

Panasonic TH42PW6B.
    iScan Ultra
    Pioneer DV-717

GETTING

DVD Recorder - probably Panasonic or Pioneer with a large hard-disk.

I purchased the iScan primarily for Sky and a good job it's doing too via a Sims RGB2YUV converter.

What I'd like opinions on is whether a dedicated progressive scan DVD player, like the Denon DVD-2900, connected directly to the plasma will give a better picture than either my Pioneer or the soon-to-be-bought DVD Recorder passed through the iScan.

Any advice?

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    IMHO you will need a good direct DVD player to better the Iscan, maybe around the level of the 3800, A11 or A1 from the Denon camp...as you may be aware the chips in these (SIL504 or better) is the same (or better) than the IScan - although the Iscan does have added abilities as I am sure you are aware...

Best thing to do is demo, unless others have tried the exact same test with the same hardware - unfortunately their "improvement" may not be your opinion of "improvements' :). I will soon be getting my PWD6 and will be trying my Denon 3800 both direct and via an IScan...I will let you know, but this wont tell you if upgrading YOUR player will give you a better picture than your current 717.

If you go with a DVD recorder as your player, then it is likely that the Iscan will produce a better picture, as from reviews I have seen the recorders aren't always that great at pure playback...part of the normal compromise I guess with an all-in-one...

Cheers

JJ

3. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JJ,

Since my viewing ratio is in the region of 95/5 in favour of Sky I think I'll stick with the iScan for de-interlacing. I'd only be interested in a dedicated progressive scan DVD player if the difference in picture quality was VERY significant and it was < £700.

As for the DVD recorder, I'll compare playback quality, through the iScan, with the DV-717 and, if it's no worse, I can get rid of the 717 from the rack and make some room. Annoying though as the 717 cost me £600, is as good as new, but is probably now worthless.

I'd be interested to hear the results of your testing with the PWD6. Can you feed a progressive signal into the iScan?

troy

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    No worries, I will post my findings at some point.

Pretty sure the Iscan only accepts interlaced, from what I have read...

JJ

5. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the 3800 is progressive isn't it? And you wrote you'd try it through the iScan. What am I missing?

troy

6. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    You can switch off the Progressive output on players so they just output an interlaced signal !

Eddited for crap speeling ;)

7. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh right. Didn't know that.

8. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just off the topic for a minute........
    Don't you worry about 'burn-in' on your W6 whilst watching Sky channels with all those poxy logo's and the interactive red button crap???

9. troymcclure

troymcclure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I "did" worry about it and posted an imaginatively titled "burn in" post last week. However the replies I got and what I've since read (including the answers to your post today) has me far less nervous.

I now agree with the view that it's an issue of days rather than hours so not an issue for me.

However, as I have a habit of falling asleep in front of the telly watching a Sky+ recording which ends with that nasty "Press backup" logo I tend to set the plasma's auto switch off button just in case.

So not quite 'caution to the wind' yet but a lot more relaxed.

troy

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah, 3800 allows you to switch between interlaced and progressive via the remote or menu.

JJ