1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan DVD player with HDTV Sony

Discussion in 'TVs' started by douglasdunn, Jun 13, 2002.

1. douglasdunn

douglasdunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, can someone cut through the crap for me? I have a Sony 36" XBR HDTV that can handle 1024 lines. I have been told that I don't need a progressive scan DVD player to replace my current one, as the TV is already displaying the incoming signal in a progressive scan method. Is this correct? Can the TV take the 260 x 2 interlace data from the standard DVD player and make it over into progressive scan? Please help clear my fog.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It's quite likely that your XBR has a de-interlacer inside that is doing creating the 480P image from all your sources.

Whoever said not to use a progressive DVD player is assuming that all progressive devices are of the same quality, which is not the case.....The use of an off board de-interlacing solution or indeed a prog scan DVD player may yield superior results to just feeding a standard interlaced NTSC signal to the TV.

For playback of film based DVD's accurately you should be looking for a solution with 2:3 recognition. Not all 2:3 recognition is equal though so you should test a few units. For video de-interlacing the sage chipset used by faroudja and others is good although i've just tried a sage chipped line doubler against a silicon image chipped progscan DVD player and couldn't see any difference with video based material........

So the answer is that even though the XBR will be de-interlacing using a prog scan dvd may improve the image over an interlaced only one and the way to work out what to do is to view a few units on your TV.

Have fun,

Gordon