1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan DVD Player or Scart Based Cinema System

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Waser, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    OK I got a decision to make. I have been eyeing up a DVD player for my new Panny TX32LXD1 as I am a bit tired of the lip synch issues I have with my Xbox DVD player.

I actually went down to an electronic store and picked up a Progressive Scan DVD player Cambridge Audio DVD55 for £100 at RS. It was only when I got home that I realised I was a muppet for jumping into it as I can get a decent scart based Home cinema all in one for around £150.

Is a Progressive scan image really that much better than a standard RGB (scart or s-video) connection? I haven't been able to test the progressive output on the DVD yet as I didn't have a component cable. I should have it this week so I can find out myself but I suppose the decision is whether I should go for an all in one scart system or a seperates components based system (which I'll have to build over some time...). Any suggestions or comments?

Also with all in one systems, do you only get sound through the 5 speakers when using the DVD player or do you get surround sound when viewing TV (Sky) as well? Do you have to leave the cinema system constantly on for this?

Sorry for the amount of questions but I'm really new to all this and haven't found answers having searched the forums.

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    with having a nice LCD set you really should have better components to match. im sorry to say a £150 all in one isnt gonna do your LCD any justice at all ! AIO are cheaper that sperates and there are good sets about but for something like an LCD or Plasma you will need to be looking at £600 + AIO like the Jamo DVR 50, Marantz HollyWood In A Box Or the Denon AV770. if you put a dvd player that isnt up to scratch to a screen like yours it will definatly show up and you will be doubting why u bought a exspensive screen! i havnt had any experience with the DVD player you have just bought but i would def reccomend NOT going for an all one for £150! a progressive scan dvd player IMHO is a must for a LCD or Plasma!

Sky will output dolby digital 5.1 on some sky movies channels but thats about it! connect the sky box to your amp for that. other than thatyour better using the inbuilt speakers on lcd for general sky viewing!

here's a thought get your Xbox modded to output High Definition Signals and use a High def kit with a component cable. not to sure if progressive scan of dvd comes out of the xbox but it does for games ! head on over to the Gaming Forums for more details !

3. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    BauerCTU, thanks a lot for the reply. When I said £150 I was really talking about something from the Trade counter at Richer Sounds:

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=2113

The JVC THV70R has received stunning reviews wherever I find them. I assume by what you are saying that a Prog Scan based seperates system would be better than this all in one?

I'll check it out this week once I have the component cable.

Anyone else with comments on this? I'd be grateful...

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    IMHO id save up and wait. you dont have to go the seperate's route to get a stunning picture as this way can be very exspensive indeed. if it was me id wait and save for an AIO with a bit more quality if indeed your really interested in having surround sound. check out the Jamo DVR 50 package this may be right up yor street ! there are a few threads about it down below and it isnt as expensive as the likes of the marantz "hollywood" or the denon AV770 and it is a great performer. im sure some owners of the system will post some commets for you!

5. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I was just looking at the Jamo DVR 50 and it looks like a sweet package! Only around £280 too. I can wait a few months and invest in one of these me thinks.

I will return the DVD55 to Richer Sounds this week. Thanks for your help BauerCTU.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    with that package remember its a reciver as well so all you will have to do is add a speaker package from jamo (there are varoius one's depending on price) and u have your self a home cinema :)

have a look here at the varoius speaker packages with the player/amp

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/home_theatre_kits.html

7. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    It doesn't have to be a Jamo speaker package does it?

I mean I could buy the player now and add on whatever 5.1 speaker package I like in the future right?

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  9. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Is this a DVD player as well? I'm asking cause I can't see where you load the DVD discs? I can't see a slot on the player.

10. GreggWatson

GreggWatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to partner the Jamo DVR50 with the KEF Egg speakers.

Will this be OK??
    Would I still have to purhcase an amp?

Thanks

11. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    it is a dvd player. its an dvd/amp combi !