Progressive scan DVD player or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by audio_slave, Jun 8, 2003.

1. audio_slave

audio_slave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question is: Is it worth spending the extra for a player with progressive scan when my CRT TV only excepts SCART?

I would love to buy something like a Pioneer 757 or the new Denon 2900, but having read some of the threads here I don't think I'm going to see the difference in picture over a Pioneer 656 or Tosh 520.

I am happy with my TV (Sony KV-32FQ75) but need a new DVD player. I also have good Stereo HiFi sperates and AV AMP and so am interested in DVD-A/SACD.

Will the better player give me better multichannel audio over the cheaper ones?

Cheers

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    From a picture quality point of view there is no point worrying about P.S. with this TV. That is not to say the intercaced video output of these devices will not be better than lower costing models. You may find that even although you don;t use the PS part they a still offer good value

Gordon

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

I think the Pioneer 656 would be a good choice for your present set-up as it offers DVD-Audio and SACD. Maybe the Sony NS930 which is PAL and NTSC PS capable for about the same price as the 656 would be suitable for a future TV or plasma, but it doesn't offer DVD-A. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. audio_slave

audio_slave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thougths.

Has anyone had a demo and compared the performance of a Pioneer 656 and 757? I am specifically interested in the Interlaced video and mutli-channel audio abilities.

Cheers,

Matt