1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan dvd on pw5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ted26, May 12, 2003.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After reading several articles on dvd players i am thinking of buying a progressive scan dvd player!

I own a panasonic 42" pw5 and would like to know if this plasma accepts such a signal?

any help on this matter much apreciated as my head is starting to hurt

:confused:

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it supports both 576P (PAL Progressive) and 480P (NTSC Progressive).

3. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup ... I have the same plasma panel and have a Limit 9900 DVD player connected to it which produces PAL progressive.

I have to say, I am unconvinced between progressive and interlaced with this setup. There is not a huge (if any) difference. It may be that the plasma does such a good job of displaying an interlaced signal that you could get a better DVD player that does not do progressive scan.

I'm sure there are lots of other people on here who can explain the theory behind this ... I am purely talking from experience of the kit I have. I may be wrong.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheap player. You've got a 4K panel and using a 200 quid player... replace the Limit with something like a Pioneer 757ai or better.

5. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not the first person to suggest that Nathan ... do you reckon it will make that big a difference?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES :)

Well you did say big :D

7. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is there any need to shout :nono:

but back to the subject, can u recomend a dvd player that does pal progressive not just ntsc?

8. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharkbait,

Many people are happy with the Limit, don't be influenced to upgrade for the sake of it. If you do consider the upgrade get a trial at home - your local dealer should do this for you, and if you do see a big difference - then fine...

When Nathan has a TV that can support PS maybe then he would be better placed giving advice on it. :boring:

BTW, if you do the demo, buy from that dealer - even if it costs a few quid extra than a net purchase, it is the only way these guys are going to carry on offering this kind of service.

BTW, my DVD cost me £150. Sony DVP-NS900. Doesn't have to be £800 or more just 'cause you have a plasma.

Good luck,

James

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok stick with your cheapo players then. :rolleyes:

I guess you think there's no difference between a £100 Samsung and £1600 Onkyo then?

10. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm currently getting very good results using the limit with a Panasonic panel.
    I notice a massive difference between interlaced/progressive especially on PAL. I think the panel was already doing an OK job de-interlacing NTSC material - it's still better though with a PS feed.

I probably will get another player - when there are some others to choose from.

11. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nike, do you see a big difference between progressive and interlaced. That's interesting, cos I'm not.

I'm using the Limit with a Panny 42" series 5. Hmmm ... might have to have a play with it a bit tonight and see if I'm missing something.

We use the panel primarily for watching Sky (it's in the bedroom), so I didn't want to pay a lot for a second DVD player - the Limit is nice for the money.

Thanks for the feedback.

12. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a Harmon/Kardon DVD25 which is Pal prog hacked, and i have to say that the progressive image on my Panansonic 5 series is definately better than the interlaced one. I can't quite put my finger on why it is, but it was definately worth the upgrade.

13. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a hit pma400e display and a sony dvd725 . A kind dealer loaned me a h/k dvd25 to try progressive scan on the pma400e , and after 4 days of playing with all sorts of settings i took the h/k dvd back. From what i could see my sony dvd725 gave a sharper and clearer picture with no artifacts that i can see .Also a lot more screen noise on th h/k.

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'll second that! There's lots of people, even on line retailers, that are offering extra advice. They do take time to describe the best way to connect up your system, and that quite frankly has to be paid for. If we don't support these poeple we'll end up with only Dix-urry-werhous-omet places where they still believe that you've got to refill your plasma with gas every year!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.