1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan dvd for panny plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hugh Williams, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Hugh Williams

Hugh Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am gradually moving towards purchase of a Panasonic plasma but am confused as to whether I need a progressive scan DVD player to get the best picture.

The Panasonic screens claim to have built in progressive scan so is a progressive DVD output unnecessary? I intend to go for component output but progressive PAL DVD players don't seem to be around yet.

Thanks

Hugh

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hugh,

You do indeed need both a progressive output from a DVD via component to the component input of a display that supports 480p (NTSC) or 576p (PAL). The Panasonic supports both of these.

Not many PAL progressive players out there at the moment, Arcam have one, the DV88P I think....

James

3. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Arcam DV88+ Supports NTSC and PAL Progressive out of the box and it's great.

John.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You don't *need* a progressive player to use with the Panasonic plasma, as the plasma will convert the interlaced DVD feed into a progressive image as you correctly assume.

I have the Panasonic plasma and was happily using my interlaced Toshiba SD9000 while I waited for the Denon 3800 to hit the shops. I took delivery a couple of weeks ago and now have multiregion + PAL-Progressive and am delighted. There is definitely an improvement in the picture quality, even though it is fairly subtle (as the Panasonic deinterlacer is very good). I have noticed more fine detail in the picture, as outputting the original interlaced image was bound to lose some detail, which couldn't be replaced when the Panasonic constructed the progressive image. My model 4 Panasonic also did not have 3:2 pulldown whereas a progressive DVD will offer this feature. This means slow pans are much smoother on R1 material, and now that I have gotten used to it I really notice the difference if I switch back to interlaced output. However, the new model 5 Panasonic does support 3:2 pulldown, so I guess this point will be irrelevant to you.

In the end, get the plasma and then get a progressive DVD player as soon as you can, but don't think you won't see real benefit from the Panasonic deinterlacer in the meantime!

5. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does the Pioneer 433MXE support 3:2 pulldown?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Everyone has good info so far. I would add that 2:3 pulldown is only of use for material that is NTSC but was originally in film format. 2:2 pulldown is the equivalent required for PAL film source material.

It would be wrong to assume that all devices with 2:2 and 2:3 detection will perform as well as each other just as it would be wrong to assume that all turbo charged cars will perform as well as each other. In a way the method of detection of 2:3 or 2:2 sequence is what is important and possibly even more important is what the device does when the sequence breaks down.

The ideal solution is,of course, to try few things with your plasma. You may also want to consider that by using an external video processor instead of a prog scan DVD you can let all your sources benefit from better video processing.

Gordon

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    When I did a demo of the Series 4 at the weekend, with an NTSC disk (Monsters Inc), the first thing my other half noticed (And commented on) was that movement (pans) were "jerky"

Are you saying that this would be better on the series 5??

If you played the same disk on the Series 4 and Series 5, would the 5 be noticably better.

If so, I think that answers whether I will go for the Series 4 or 5, as the 5 is only £299 more (From Richer Sounds)

Jon

8. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Jon,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Go for the series 5 if you aren't getting a progscan DVD player in the near future, the pans with NTSC should be smoother than on the series 4 model.

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Many thanks.. You supplied this info, just in the nick of time as R.S have now commited to getting me a series 4.

I currently have a Philips CRT which has 'natural motion compensation'.

IMHO this looks awful (too smooth), BUT there is no doubting that it an amazing technology..

It even makes old black&white films (which were filmed in a low frame rate) perfectly smooth.. Its spectacular, but it just looks wrong.

The problem is that its not perfectly smooth.. It 'stutters' from time to time, when there is a lot going on the screen.

When we saw the 'jerky' movement on the Series 4, I just put it down to the fact that we were used to the "Natural Motion' on the Philips.

Obviosuly its not.. Whilst I do hope to get a Prog Scan player at some point (but not yet), and my DVD collection is about 80/20 in the favour of NTSC, I do need to think carefully about NTSC playback.

After all, my Philips is going back because the picture 'wobbles' when playing NTSC/60hz material.

I think that this has now answered my dilemma whether I go for a 4 or 5..

Again, many thanks for your advice.