Progressive Scan DVD Explained for mortals!

As above.

Really interesting, learnt a lot.
Cheers.

Nice one.......One point i would like to mention, I have Sony TV with DRC as one of the functions......... Sony describe their DRC feature as.......Quote: Their DRC (Digital Reality Multifunction) or progressive scan line doubler with Cinemotion (SONY's name for 3:2 - or as it is also known - 2:3 pulldown) works well, better than it used to on previous models. Image edges are smooth and clean without ringing or annoying motion artifacts like zippering or stair-stepping. So, have i read the quote below right, have i been watching progressive scan dvd's and not interlaced through my TV? and when they say the deinterlacer will be better in the DVD than in the TV, is this similar to the quality of the D/D and DTS decoders in amps and DVD players.
Is a progressive scan DVD player going to be that much better for those who allready have TV sets with the ability to deinterlace?

But if, like most new high-end TVs, your TV has a built in deinterlacer (often called a “line doubler”), then the television has been converting your interlaced signal to 480p already, so the smoothness and lack of line structure are already there. So what can a progressive DVD player offer? Better deinterlacing, to start with. In other words, the deinterlacer in the DVD player is likely better than the one in your TV.
Most high-end TVs have a motion-adaptive deinterlacer, with no film mode, so they can’t recreate a perfect progressive film frame from film-originated sources. (The TV has its deinterlacer optimized just for video sources, such as news broadcasts.)

I would suspect you might not nitoce too much difference with the Sony TV. I'm not expert, just going on what I have read.

I'm looking at it because:

a) I have a Panny PJ (PTA-100E) on the way
b) My DVD player has packed up and getting new one on insurance.

It seems that Prog Scan is a very good thing for very large displays such as PJs.

I'm glad i read the link as i were in two minds whether to go for the Pioneer 747 dvd player because of its p/scan, but upon reading this laying out £700/£800 and probally not get that much improvement in picture quality the money will be better spent elsewhere.
The Hitachi 36" i owned before had p/scan but the DRC on the Sony walks all over that.

Good link Dodgey.........cheers bob

DRC-MF technology in Sony TV's and, in particular, the latest incarnation on the VW11HT projector has met with favourable response on this forum. In terms of the 11HT check out Gordon's reply to a question about this particular PJ's deinterlacing performance in the projector section. Looks like Sony have done a pretty good job.

So, have i read the quote below right, have i been watching progressive scan dvd's and not interlaced through my TV?

The signal from the player is of course non-progressive (interlaced), all the DRC does is to increase the picture information similar to a line-doubler. Quite a clever feature actually though I noticed some minor processing artefacts, the scanning lines however disappeared.

and when they say the deinterlacer will be better in the DVD than in the TV, is this similar to the quality of the D/D and DTS decoders in amps and DVD players.

Well, the best are probably the stand-alone models, i.e. not in the TV neither in the DVD player.

Is a progressive scan DVD player going to be that much better for those who allready have TV sets with the ability to deinterlace?

PS player/output is of no use if the display does not have a PS input, which I assume your Sony does not have.

I have a Sony DRC-MF model and a Sony DVD, the DVP-NS700V without any P/S. I don't see any lines. Maybe I don't know what I am missing but I sure am not in any hurry to upgrade to a P/S DVD player. The pictures is great as it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom