1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan DVD Connectivity Question.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Johnser, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Johnser

Johnser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

I hope one of out there can help me with a question about connecting my progressive scan DVD to my Phillips 42" 9946 Plasma.

As progressive scan uses component to output its picture, how would I connect my DVD player to my plasma.

For those of you not familiar with the Phillips, it has two SCARTs EXT1 & EXT2. EXT1 is configured as standard as RGB. Italso have standard VGA and composite video along with an S Video.

I have two Progressive scan DVD players, a Sony RDR-HX900 and a cheap Phillips low profile thingy (dont know the model number 603? maybe).

I have tried and tried to get a Progressive Scan picture onto my Plasma, but have failed totally.

What I have tried (in vain) is a component to SCART cable, numberous SCART to SCARTs (Full 21 pin SCART cables).

On Phillips web site they say that the screen is Progressive Scan, but I'm starting to think that it may just refer to TV signals.

I'm not 100% clued up on all this yet, and would appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks

John

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    AFAIK, a progressive scan signal can only be carried via component and I would guess that a component -> scart converter wouldn't be able to hande the progressive signal.

Of course I could be wrong and there may be a very clever way around this :oops:

John

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Phillips use an ALIS screen in some models (bought from Hitachi/Fujitsu) and there is very little benfit in using progscan with ALIS panels

EDIT i have since examined the spec sheets of the 9946 which is not an alis (9966 is as were some previous models) and should have no issue with accepting a progressive signal (VGA aka RGBHV is progressive) so there is something very very odd going on with these screens!

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Horny, is absolutely correct - with my Arcam DV79 feeding a Hitachi plasma, the picture is no different with progressive scan switched on. In fact, my wife prefers the non progressive picture.

John

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,728
    Not so with the Sony implementation- the progressive picture on 480p is much better. Don't know why -but is!

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I think it might be as much to do with the DVD player as the screen.

Originally I had a Yamaha S540 player and am convinced the prog scan picture was better on the Hitachi than the non prog scan but, like I say, there's no difference with the Arcam.

I did a load of tests with various films and got my wife to tell me which picture looked better (she has no idea what prog scan is and I didn't tell her which was which) and, with every film we tried, she said the prog scan picture was no better.

John

7. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine with the same screen wanted to do this and contacted philips customer care. Here is their reply. Names/email deleted for obvious reasons.

-----Original Message-----
    From: Philips Consumer Care [mailto:c_0001289081@philips-customercare.com]
    Sent:????????
    Subject: [Bulk] Reference number 50-46949558

Dear Mr ?????,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that the 42PF9946 cannot

accept a progressive scan signal from an external source.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance and

should you require further advice please do not hesitate to contact us

again quoting your customer reference number 50-46949558.

Kind regards,

Philips Customer Care

I shall post more on this as the Philips website states progressive scan for this panel. I believe the prog scan is done internally by the screen. Edit: Nope.

8. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the website link

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=54HZGY0PIACHPJ0RMRESHQFHKFSEKI5P

The specification sheet (pdf) also mentions "progressive scan" under Tech specs > picture on the website.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pf9946_12/42pf9946_12_pss_eng.pdf

Yet the manual makes no mention of it, see here

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pf9946_12/42pf9946_12_dfu_eng.pdf

Is this grounds for involving Trading Standards or is Philips' definition of "Progressive scan" (for razor sharp images and flicker free images) different to everyone elses? :suicide:

9. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Far from being an expert on these things, but I would expect that if the rest of the industry uses "progressive scan" as a recognised term and then you claim to have "progressive scan" the buyer would assume it is the known technology. If your system is different should it not have its own technical product name???

I read this with interest as I have just brought this set, and although I do have an interest in Home cinema/Hifi I am more reliant on a products printed specifications than some of you on here who have far more knowledge. But I did assume from the advertising that my new progressive scan DVD would send that signal to my new Plasma with "Progressive Scan" ability.

I too have mailed Philips with this point.

10. db7000s

db7000s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42PF9965.

The issue is the same. It does not accept progessive signals via the media box.
    The refernece to progressive scan is for the option available under the 'digital picture' settings.

AP

11. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Digital Picture setting?? what or where is that option... I dont see that in the menu?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmmmm short answer is i havent a clue what they are doing and it is a right old mess...especially as they make Progscan DVD players..... anyone tired a region 1 or NTSC disk in progressive via componenet into one of these!

13. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I anonamously left an answer on the Philips UK website asking them to clarify the "progressive scan" issue as I do believe this is misleading (or else :D ).

Cheer db7000s, I shall pass that on to a friend who has bought a 42PF9946 to see if there is an option on the menu.

Dave.jj - does your manual refer to "progressive scan" at any point?

14. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No I have been right through the manual, which I have to say is very basic anyway... and there is no mention of progressive scan. But also as with most manuals there is no technical specification section running through all the imputs, outputs, and features that you normally get in a manual.
    And as of yet I have had no reply from Philips with my question on this subject.

15. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question, but how exactly do you find out if the signal received by the plasma is progressive scan ? I'm a newbie to all this and just got my PW7 but I see no options in the plasma to whether it's progressive or not...

16. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9946 doesn't have component input so it does not accept a progressive input. The picture is however displayed as progress scan as it is de-interlaced.

I looked @ this machine and didn't part with cash just because it didn't have component. I think this model was aimed @ people who have just got used to scart and maybe RGB (currys and comet seller).

M

17. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just had a reply from Philips....

"With regards to your query we can advise that Philips TV's will only
    support progressive scan from an external source through component
    connections."

Can anyone tell me what this means???

18. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That 9946 does not support progressive scan because it does not have component input.

19. Mowlith

Mowlith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am sorry I still dont understand what that means.... what is component input? and does your coment agree or disagree with the reply from Philips?

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if it has VGA input VGA is progressive!!!!!!!!