1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan => double framerate?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by massta, Jan 9, 2005.

1. massta

massta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you play a newer video game like Xbox or Dreamcast wich display high resolution graphics, on a normal TV, as I've got got, you only get 30 FPS (in 60 Hz mode). But if you use a *real* VGA box, wich takes use of the consoles pure VGA support, does this double the framerate? I thought that because VGA monitors can display double the frames per second than a TV can, in interlacing. Or is it like watching a progressivescan-DVD, wich displayes the same frame two or three times, resulting in the same framerate?

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    You'll find more information in our progressive scan forum.
    But put simply, yes. Progressive scan means showing the scan lines 1,2,3,4,5,6... in the order 1,2,3,4,5,6... instead of a normal TV which shows 1,3,5,7,9... and then 2,4,6,8,10... thereby 'interlacing' two frames.
    Think of displays which can handle progressivee scan (plasmas, most LCDs, most projectors) as computer monitors. They can handle higher frame rates like 60Hz, 72Hz, 75Hz etc.
    It's 'which', by the way.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Magazines always talk about games running at 60hz. So when we play games on tv at 60i, do wil still get 60 individual frames, but only half of each frame, (odd + even lines alternatly)?

4. massta

massta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting... but I've always beleived that on the newer consoles that output high resolution, we only get 30 individual frames on a normal TV. But those those older low resolution consoles (Megadrive, SNES, Neo-Geo etc), output 60 individual frames, actually non-interlaced, due to the fact that each frame only uses half the amount of lines.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, please :)

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    All 'conventional' UK (PAL) TVs require 50 frames per second. I.e. they are 50Hz.
    A 60Hz output will require a TV capable of NTSC. Most modern decent (i.e. 32"+) TVs are capable of NTSC playback aswell and you will need one to watch region 1 DVDs if your DVD player isn't capable of converting the NTSC signal from R1 DVDs to PAL for you.
    I don't know naff all about consoles but whatever frequency (frametrate) they output, if it's destined for a 'conventional' TV then it will have to be 50i or 60i.
    The i bit meaning interlaced. Which means the frames are alternating. Interlaced.
    If the console outputs a progressive signal then I guess it could be 60p or 72p or 75p then the frames are sequential as I explained above.
    You don't need to worry about how many frames are being outputted by the game, I don't suppose.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Apparantly, the XBox 2 will ouptut hi-def at 1280 by 720p60. So 60 individual frames. Though the XBox may already offer this? 1080i60 will probably be supported also. Perhaps even 1080p60!? for future games. I read somewhere that ESPN sports channel will start broadcasting in 1080p60 this year. Previously 720p60 was used for sport, 1080i60 for most other programmes.

7. massta

massta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is not true. About 95% of all PAL TV's made in the 15 last years can accept a 60 Hz signal and display it correctly. However, most PAL TV's do not support the NTSC color encoding, wich will result in a black&white picture, if you don't use a RGB SCART-cable (no color encoding). So, when there is a 60 Hz mode available in a PAL videogame (very common on Dreamcast), it's actually a 60 hz signal with PAL encoding, also known as 'PAL60'.

8. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're right. About 6 years back I used to use my Amiga 1200 a lot. With vertical resolutions of 256 and slightly above with overscan the display didn't have to resort to interlacing, but if I upped the resolution to 512 it did - and Workbench at 512*640 was ugly on a SCART based video monitor.