1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan confusion!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tim_Q, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Tim_Q

Tim_Q
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, thanks to everyone at avforums for a cracking site and a wealth of information that has allowed me to get a pretty decent home cinema set up! I hope I will soon be able to contribute but for now a question...

I have a Philips 37PF9965 which my wife bought me as a wedding present last year :D . I have only just got round to setting it up properly and now have a Pioneer DV-585 connected via component cables rather than just using my xbox for playing DVDs. The picture quality is noticeably better than through the RGB scart. I was intending to use progressive scan but on selecting the option on the DVD player I loose the picture. The Philips has a "progressive scan" option in the menu so what's going on? I'm obviously missing a trick but the manuals and Philips website are no use. Is this display prog scan compatible or not?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Many DVD players have options to change screen resolutions when outputting progressive. Maybe your DVD is set to a resolution that your screen can't display ? I'm not familiar with either of these models, but it's worth a try.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. Tim_Q

Tim_Q
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Philips last night and they said...
    "With regards to your query we can advise that the 37PF9965 supports an interlaced signal from external sources, but not a progressive signal.
    This feature is only internal."

I don't really understand how this works then. Does the display's electronics convert an interlaced signal into progressive before sending it to the display itself? If this is the case what is the advantage to having a progressive picture coming straight from the DVD player?

Whether my panel is an ALIS or not I don't know but it is 1024x1024 (x3), (I don't know what the x3 bit means?).

These plasmas sure are complicated!...

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    x3 three colours, red, green and blue

I have heard certain sales people describe this as 3072 x 3072