1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan Component to RGB conversion?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chez, May 12, 2003.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've got a Panasonic TX36-PB50 TV which has RGB SCART inputs but no component inputs.

My DVD player is a Meridian 596.

I'm considering upgrading the 596 to Progressive Scan (Meridian will do this for £475 using a Faroudja based output section).

I plan to get a plasma display within the next year, but am considering upgrading now as Meridian have put a six month time limit on 596 upgrades!

From what I can gather, if I upgrade, I will lose my RGB output capability, meaning I can only connect via composite or S-Video (neither of which do I want to use!!!)

Is there any way of converting a progressive scan component video feed (3 BNCs from the DVD player) to an RGB SCART connection compatible with my TV?

If a convertor is available, would the progressive scan be passed through or not?

Thanks in advance
    Richard

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Richard,

You can get a component to RGB converter from www.keene.co.uk called the RGB2C for £90. Your Panasonic TV wouldn't be able to take a progressive scan signal over it's RGB Scart input so you would need to set the Meridian to output an interlaced signal until you got your plasma. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Use S-Video in the mean time if you do get it modified. There's not any devices which will go from progressive component back to RGB SCART. RGB SCART doesn't have any support for progressive signals.

If you've not got any use for progressive at the moment, why upgrade just now? Why not wait until you're about to buy the plasma and then get the upgrade?

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks guys.

John - I was going to get it upgraded now as there is a 6 month time limit on 596 upgrades.

The good news is that I have since found out that that only applies to the DVD-A upgrade, the progressive option will stay open.

I will wait until I get a plasma scree and see what I think of the quality from my player as it is. If I'm not happy then maybe I'll upgrade or buy an external scaler/de-interlacer.

Thanks again
    Chez