1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan /component problem Help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bussta, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Bussta

Bussta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Pioneer DV575 player to hook up to my Panasonic 32PD50 Telly. Also spent £40 on some component leads so that I can get a perfect progressive scan picture.

I have hooked the player upto the TV and selected Component-progressive output on the DVD menu and the progressive scan mode on the TV, but have noticed that the image flickers when I look away from it out of the corner of my eye.

I checked the TV manual and it says that "when viewing a Pal source (other than Pal 60) with scan mode set to progressive, the screen will flicker"

Please tell me that I havn't just bought a non progressive compatible dvd player for my tv!

What is Pal 60?

I am on the edge of throwing the tv out of the window as i was so looking forward to getting a beutiful picture on it, now I'm beginning to think that it's £600 wasted on a Tv and £100 on a dvd player that won't give me the best quality output!

Someone please help/advise as I am dumbfounded what to do!
    :(

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I take it you have tried good old region 2 DVD's and it still does it. I dont know enough about the differences between formats so hopefully someone else can shed some light on it. Check the settings for your 575 again. Try calling Pioneer CS as they may have heard of this issue.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It seems that the 575 does flicker with a few CRT TV's. Try a search on 575+flickering on this forum, there are a few threads which may help. One poster mentiones that superior cables solved the problem, but it sounds like you have already invested in decent cables.

Have you tried swapping the component out on the 575 to interlace to see how it looks?...PJ :)

4. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i get the problem my tosh with same dvd player,when playing pal 50 through tv it goes into 50 htz mode, and agree is crap. pal 60 has afaster refresh rate so u dont notice the flicker which is used for us dvds ie ntsc region 1. its also a juddery when the camera pans on a movie more so on region 2 this is becase it bypasses the tvs own picture processing hope that helps. almost forgot to tell u its nothing to do with dvd player just the crap pal 50

5. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not sure, but did someone say how Pioneer 575 isn't PAL progressive, only NTSC progressive?

whatever, lower your expectations about "superior progressive picture", because it is far from superior, it will save you from further disappointment :cool:

6. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Nope, the 575 is definately PAL and NTSC prog scan. I have mine hooked up to a Toshiba 32zp48p with QED P-CV1 component leads, and do not have any probs with flickering, (NTSC or PAL).
    As has been suggested, have a look into the settings on both the TV and DVD player and see if they are set to prog-scan, re-check the cables etc, as a final check take a look at the firmware setting on the Pioneer. I have taken the liberty of copying some of NX3's text from another thread so you can check / update if you need to :-
    To get the firmware version of your player you need to highlight the word 'Options' in the set-up menu, then press display on your remote control"
    2.09 is the latest update from Pioneer on CD or you can download it from :
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/575-V2.09.zip
    If your player has an earlier firmware, download the ZIP file from the link above, un-zip it and you will see two files, 1 is the firmware, the other a readme. Just follow the instructions in the readme on how to carry out the update (you will need NERO burning ROM to make the disc).
    Hope this helps ?
    If not, post back and check if anyone has any other ideas or solutions that may help further.

TTFN,
    Graham.

7. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My 575 always flickered with some dvds. It was never resolved so I sold it. About a year ago there were a few people doing tests on this forum with different dvd players. The consensus was the 575 does flicker on some dvds. I now have a phillips which is pretty good also the toshibas are good for lack of flicker.
    regards

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've never seen it flicker on the hundreds of DVDs I've tried. Were you using a CRT TV?...PJ :)

9. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Never a flicker here either... Dud unit perhaps? Dud tv unit perhaps?!

10. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Who knows? None of the other players I was testing flickered on my new pf3. There was a lot of testing and posting going on at that time and several of the other posters had the same prob. If I remember raze got rid of his for same problem. I would guess it depends how sensitive your eyes are to it and also when it does get noticed it always seems to be there. Would have been better if I hadnt seen it as I took a £20 loss on it. I know half these budget players have the same chips so really they should all be the same. Also have to say that I was never convinced with the stereo either mind , despite the reviews.
    regards