1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan - completely confused

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mobily, Jan 27, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

Progressive scan - what's it all about??

I have read the sticky thread at the top of this page and I am still none the wiser. I need someone to explain it in simple laymans terms.

I have just purchased a sony dav-s550 system and a Toshiba 28ZD26 television to accompany it.

Both systems support progressive scanning (PS), but apparently the sony system only supports ntsc PS.

Since the TV has PS will this work on your bog standard tv pictures or only on dvd's?

Do you need a tv with PS for it to work?

Does pal support PS or only interlace?

If I have PS turned on on my dvd and my tv will I receive out of this world pictures?

I hope someone can help because I am really confused by the whole area. Not by what it actually is, but by what equipment supports it and what doesn't.

Thanks for all your help,

James :)

2. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD PS spec was ratified before they had PAL PS so some systems only do it on NTSC. PS can only be done through component, it can't be done through SCART.

Some TV manufacturers say the TV is PS but this means that it produces a PS display but doesn't necessarily mean that it can accept a PS input.

If you have a PS display device, if it is feed with an interlaced image the device will de-interlace the image. If it is feed with a PS image it doesn't need to do this and should be able to produce a better picture but it all depends on how good the input PS image is. I could try and explain this more but I'd probably just confuse the issue some more.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    James:

You may want to take a look at ProgressiveScan which gives a great introduction to the wonderful world of PS. :) ... click the Articles link at the top of the page to go to their introductory articles.

As for your specific question .. generally PS is more useful with plasmas or other non-CRT devices, while it can be found on some CRTs AIUI the difference is generally not as noticeable as with non-CRTs.

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Isn't that the very link of which mobily says "I have read the sticky thread at the top of this page and I am still none the wiser. I need someone to explain it in simple laymans terms." ;)

Simple ... progressive scan makes the picture look better.

It was approved by the Copy Protection Technical Working Group for NTSC a long time before PAL. Therefore some older models of televisions* and DVD players only support NTSC Progressive.

You would need both DVD player and television to support PAL Progressive for it to work.

Finally, your regular broadcast television picture will not be progressive scanned, but your set will accept a PS signal from a PS DVD player. However, with your set and DVD you can only do this on NTSC R1 discs.

*Be they CRT, LCD, plasma, RPTV, etc

StooMonster