1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan box -> Progressive scan TV?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rusty, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the LG RZ-17LZ10 (17" LCD W/S).
    The LG website describes it as "Progressive scan" (http://www.lge.com/c_product/catalo...&mdl_cod=RZ-17LZ10&mdl_mak=1&navigation=0,0,4)
    However, I have the imageMAX 3700 which I have been using to process my video sources and then to my monitor via the vga connection (Yes, I realise I'm not using the progressive scan this way). The 3700 has progressive scan capability. My question is this: I know that plasmas and projectors could benefit from a PS input such as the 3700 will provide, but what is the situation with LCD TVs?

It is £611 BTW from http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/shop/default.asp?pid=141

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You may find that it means the picture is a progressive scan one, not an interlaced one -- it does not say that it can accept a progressive signal.

Futhermore, this set has scart input and is therefore RBG -- and not component, which is the official progressive scan format.

As well as plasma, I have a 17" LCD widescreen television -- the Grundig -- which does have component input but does not accept a progressive signal.

If the LCD in question accepted a progressive signal, that it's probably just as true that external prog-scan device (e.g. DVD) player will do a better progressive scan than the internal chipset does.

StooMonster

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm pretty sure the imagemax is a rebadge of the briteview - connect via RGBHV (standard VGA cable) to the PC input of the LG and set the scaler to output RGB at 1024x768. If it's anything like the Briteview the picture is wicked!!!

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Doh! Except via VGA with a scaler. VGA is an analogue progressive scan signal.

Your imageMAX 3700 should do a fine job via VGA.

Saying all this, my 1280x768 screen does a pretty good job of prog-scaning the Sky digital I feed it via component input. The Grundig's display via VGA input is really excellent.

StooMonster

5. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, it is a brite-view (only difference is that it's silver :D )

So you're saying that it *is* possible to use the PS option (as opposed to the RGB - it has a switch which determines the output of the VGA connector) for an lcd monitor/tv which has a VGA input?

I can't remember the resolution options offhand for the scaler, but I think that it has 1024x768p/i and 1280x1024i.

6. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a look:

Set to Progressive mode (YPbPr) it offers 480p, 720p, and 1080i
    Set to RGB mode it offers 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024

Changing the resolution in RGB mode does not make a heap of difference on my monitor at present unless it is the DVD signal.

How do those progressive resolution numbers fit in to everything??? I understand the RGB res as that's just the same as a computer monitor. How would you go about using the component (progressive) output with an LCD screen like the Grundig???

Lots of questions!

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Two differences actually - only the UK Briteview has the new firmware which gives a 75Hz refresh rate on 576P output and has also improved the Y/C delay and contrast level. Still not an IScan Ultra beater, but does a damn fine job - especially for the money.