1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Scan, basic advice and Info please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by one_jedi, Jun 14, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I need advice. Basically I know a bit about progressive scan but not much. Firstly if you buy a DVD player with progressive scan do you need a special TV or lead?s. Do the DVD's need to be progressive scan or will it play all DVD's progressive scan?. Basically this is my situation. I have a one year old 24inch phillips widescreen TV, nothing special at all but nice. My DVD player is old and i'm thinking of updating. I buy a lot of region 1 dvd's, a lot Anime region 1 dvd's as the NTSC versions of the series are ussually a lot better. Because of the very nature of animation and such clear and sharp lines things like aliasing etc are very easy to notice. This is why I want progressive scan.

So if i got a progressive scan dvd player, say the cheap panasonic one, would I notice a difference on my current TV and all the dvd's I already have? Also what is the cheapest progressive scan DVD player?. I'm not deperate to upgrade so would it be best to wait a bit untli I could get a dvd player with both NTSC and PAL progressive scan?

As much info as possible would be great, Thansks!

2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Basically your display device needs to support progressive scan. Most projectors and plasmas do this. There are only a few CRT tvs which allow this (the later Toshiba ones) I doubt very much that the philips you own will support this. Most progressive scan devices get their input via a component, VGA or DVI input. If you do not have any of these then you cannot get progressive scan.
    FYI. progressive scan deinterlaces an interlaced image. All DVDs are encoded in interlaced. A progressive scan DVD player (or external box) will deinterlace all DVDs.
    If you are thinking of upgrading your DVD player and are not thinking of getting a projector or plasma then you will probably be better off with a decent interlaced dvd player than a similar priced progressive one. Progressive scan has its problems - including lipsync issues.
    Hope this helps
    Azzo.

3. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVDs are not always stored as interlaced images. On region 1 DVDs you can have a 24fps movie film which has markers which enable the 3:2 pullup to make it 30fps. In the encoding process you specify whether the image is progressive or interlaced and this puts markers in the MPEG-2 stream. DVD players could entierly depend on the markers but this is sometimes done incorrectly, more expensive progressive DVD players detect and fix these issue where cheap units dont.

4. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I stand correct about Region 1. What about R2?

5. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously on R2 discs we dont have the 3:2 pullup in the encoding process. We still can have video marked as progressive. As a side note if you convert interlaced to progressive PAL on external processors it is called 2:2 pulldown.

I just get annoyed that a lot of DVDs are not pitch corrected when going from the original 24fps movie to 25fps PAL video causing the film to run 4% faster. If you don't pitch correct the audio it is a semitone to high. This along with the wider variety, censorship and extras is why I buy almost exclusively R1 movies.

6. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    salacious:

with regard to PAL speed and pitch changes I know what you mean, In my opinion when mastering a PAL disc both speed up and pitch up should be allowed, ie DON'T correct the pitch.

My reasoning is I'd like to somehow, slow back down to 24Hz and in doing so lower the pitch as well back to the original level. I assume it would be easier if both speed and pitch rose in tandem to lower them together as well?? Anyway there should be some controls so that everyone obeys the same standard. Aparently WinDVD has what's call PalTruespeed which does these sort of speed/pitch corrections but I think once corrected you can only get analogue out. Check out a recent thread on the topic: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83690

Cosaw :lesson: