1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan article in HiFi News

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by They, Oct 2, 2003.

1. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HiFi News Nov 03 issue has a full sized magazine suppliment titled AVTech that features an article on progressive scanning with more to come in the next issue.

This magazine hopes to become a monthly publication in its own right with more technical in depth reviews and testing of AV gear than is currently published elsewhere.

I feel we need a UK AV magazine along the lines of Wide Screen Review, The Perfect Vision and Stereophile Guide to Hometheatre so I hope this magazine succeeds.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    THEY: Did you help or write the article? The ones in all the other mags that I have read have not been that great....or indeed accurate.

Gordon

3. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Gordon, I did write the article. :blush: I was keen to get involved when I heard the rationale for the new magazine, although I probably would have accepted the commission whatever the magazine!

It was difficult and frustrating to try and condense such an extensive subject into the confines of the allowed number of pages and word count (which started at 2000 words, then 3000 and finally I delivered just over 7000 words) so they unfortunately had to split the article over two issues but I suppose that’s preferable to hacking it down to next to nothing!

The publishers were somewhat contradictory to begin with in that they wanted to create something new in the market place of AV publications and not repeat the same type of reviews found elsewhere with limited technical information, mistakes and the sort of write-up that would leave you suspicious as to whether or not the reviewer actually took the item out of the box! Also they wanted feature articles that are more than just a couple of pages paraphrasing brochures and press releases. However, in spite of the said aim, the lack of space for such content made me question just how serious they were and the commitment and appreciation of what the targeted readership may be interested in. Now that I have seen the finished publication and they fact that they accepted my article (even in its way over the original briefs word count) and in spite of a few editing errors and print quality problems, I do feel encouraged that they could succeed in creating a much needed ‘enthusiasts’ technically oriented AV magazine.

As for accuracy, I was determined not to emulate articles from other publications and Web sites and proliferate mistakes, myths and misleading information and I was particularly keen to create my own diagrams, graphics and use real processed video instead of the usual borrowed graphics and simulated video shots. Space constraints meant we had to limit the many graphics I had produced, the processed video shots originally were to have high, moderate, low and no motion versions of each but space allowed for only the high motion versions which at least illustrates the extreme limits of the algorithms described, which is a good compromise I feel.

Anyway, I would welcome any feedback about the article, which should be in the shops Friday 3rd. I hope people find it interesting and informative and look forward to the second half in the next issue, and perhaps many more AV related articles in the future!

Best regards.

They.