Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Progressive Scan and SCART

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by szgo, May 21, 2003.

1. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a jvc28x25 100Hz tv which says that it support NTSC Progressive but the tv doesn't have any component inputs, does anyone know if I can get progressive scan working on this? I have 3 scarts and 1 svideo.

Thanks!

2. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    If you have a progressive tv with only scart connections and your progressive dvd player has component out, you will need a lead with component on one end and scart on the other - yes it's that easy!

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    That JVC model has it's own Progressive Scan mode when you feed it an NTSC signal. It cannot accept a Progressive Scan signal from a suitably equipped dvd player. The only JVC that can (apart from plasma's) is the HV32D25 which has Component Video Inputs and accepts both NTSC & PAL Progressive.

4. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! do you know if you can get an adaptor to go from component connectors to scart? I am sending a NTSC signal to the TV so I am ok on that score. Jase you mentioned that my model of TV has it's own progressive scan mode do you know if this is proper progressive scan or just some sort of emulation?

5. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    I wouldn't bother wasting your money on an adaptor as you won't get a picture. The TV can only pick up either RGB, S-Video or Composite signals it won't pick up a Component Video signal (Interlaced or Progressive).

The Progressive Scan on that TV is proper, it just means the TV has it's own internal de-interlacer to get rid of "jaggies" and to give a smoother image.

6. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase for the reply, if I tell you exactly what I am trying to do perhaps you can tell me if it is possible or not. Basically I have an import games console which can output ntsc progressive scan which I believe is the best quality so I wondered whether I was able to get the tv to show the progressive scan from the console, the only lead that supports progressive scan from the console is the component one, but from what you say is my TV is de-interlacing the input already currently RGB or will it only de-interlace an NTSC component signal.

7. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    Same with my Gamecube, I can only get it's Progressive Scan output from a Component cable. Your TV should either switch automatically to NTSC Progressive or give you the option to do so from the menu (like Philips Pixel+ TV's). It should work with any NTSC signal that your TV can pick up i.e RGB, S-video.

My JVC is slightly different as it has a Movie Theatre Mode which only seems to work with NTSC dvds (any signal) but not my import Gamecube, satellite receiver etc.

8. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly it is a Panasonic Q version of the cube which I am trying to hookup to my tv for progressive scan. Some people have indicated that their may be a modified version of the component lead going to scart waiting on confirmation though, I currently have a modified component cable that provides an RGB signal from a NTSC console which is pretty good, the reason I originally got this was that my old tv didn't support NTSC but would accept a RGB signal. I am right in saying though that cube only outputs progressive scan on a component cable and we can't get that into our tv as we only have scart or s-video.

9. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    As far as I know, an import Cube will only output a PS scan signal via Component Video or a VGA cable and you need to use the digital out not the analogue out that you use for the S-Video cable etc. So basically, if you don't have component inputs or a VGA input, you're stuffed.:(

10. tornini

tornini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have asked JVC how you would connect progressive scan device to the televion, they said although the TV had been out for a year no one else had asked them, they have referred me to technical who are now e-mailing the factory as the TV definitely says on the tech specs that it supports progressive scan so there should be a way to get a progressive scan signal into it.

12. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    I hope to be proved wrong for your sake but I'm still pretty sure it won't work. I don't know of any standard TV that will accept PS via something other than component inputs or a vga module.

If it does work I'll be pretty miffed as I wouldn't have bought my HV32D25 as I only wanted that for it's ability to accept PS via component.

13. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know how I get on but it would seem pretty daft to list progressive scan as a feature and then to have no way of using it, but hey it wouldn't be the 1st time

14. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    jase

I looked long and hard and still think this model 32d25 has the most awsome dvd playbackwith the progressive scan feature. And when Im receiving a good analogue signal standard tv is very good too.

Some dvd's are just so clear and impressive, with none of the problems most other tv's have. (dark bars etc)

15. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    It was on my shortlist primarily for the PS via component and the fact I've had JVC's in the past and never had any problems with them with regards to reliability. It is a great TV and has also got better over time, I assume the tube has had time to run in etc.:)

16. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i went to a shop and they put the dvd vertical limit on a pixel plus
    9617 model and the picture is very good, put im watching it now on the jvc in progressive and there is no comparison it is simply awesome on the jvc " top stuff" Also the P+ model had the shimmering which i thought was ridiculous but it just goes to show what a big difference progressive scan makes compared to standard component interlace picture!! Im a happy owner at the moment,

17. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why model of tv do you have?

18. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    jvc 32d25

19. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC Have confirmed that the set does not support progressive scan, there is a mistake in the brochure so they have offered me a full refund so I am looking at the Toshiba 100Hz 28ZD26B which has component inputs and supports progressive scan, anyone know if they are any good, read a couple of reviews of the 32" and were pretty good, thanks!

20. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    szgo

I think you have things mixed up there it definately supports progressive scan as I have a dvd player progressive scan and I can vouch for that.

Ive got the manual of the tv and service manual and definately says it has progressive but in any case forget the manual if it didnt support pro scan then it wouldnt show anything when I connect the pro scan out wires to the tv component jacks.

I know the toshibas have only ntsc progressive.

If you have seen pro scan sets there is big big difference in quality of picture between interlaced and pro scan.

The zd sets are really good though but the jvc is better imo

21. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate this has got a bit confusing my set is an AV28X25 not the 32d5 though I wouldn't mind one, out of my budget though. Excuse my ignorance but what is imo?

22. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    szgo

yeah I was going to say you must have another set!! I actually dont know any other models of jvc just the one I bought.

imo - means " in my opion" too lazy to write it.

If you can get a refund and get the zd tv it is very good because then eventually you will buy a pro scan player and watch dvd with ntsc disks. But I heard that toshiba is launching some new models with both ntsc and pal. Whatever you do dont get the pixel plus of phillips it is crap.

23. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate, the tosh does seem to get some good press so I think I will go for it, thanks for the advice