1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan and recorded TV images

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djnsh, Oct 30, 2003.

1. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the discussion in this section has understandably centered around progressive display of movies which are naturally non-interlaced, however what do the results look like when a DVD player plays a DVD containing TV recordings which are naturally interlaced.

When I replay discs on a PC which obviously has to display DVD's progressively due to the nature of a PC display, movies on the whole look fine however TV recordings seem to have jagged edges on any fast movement such as football matches or quick camera pans.

I am interested to see if a similar effect is seen with a progressive DVD player and projector set up, for example, which obviously is a backwards step if such visual artefacts are present.

2. They

They
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    De-interlacing originally interlaced video is a complex task if high quality is to be achieved. There are many methods, some simple ones used by most PC graphics processors and software DVD players but more sophisticated motion adaptive de-interlacers are beginning to appear in the latest graphics chips.

Most PC de-interlacers for TV and DVD will use line averaging (bob) or field interleaving (weave) to create progressive frames. The former gives low vertical detail and jaggies and the latter can cause annoying serrations during motion.

More sophisticated motion adaptive de-interlacers are generally used in stand alone DVD players and ,again, generally, produce good to excellent results.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of the software players do motion adaptive deinterlacing needed for video material.

DScaler does this but as far as I know it only does it from a the signal from a video capture card so I don't know if or how you can connect a software DVD player to DScaler directly.