Progressive scan and line doubling the same?

ralphot

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have wondered, is progressive scan and line doubling exactly the samt thing? Or have I not fully understand all the descriptions?

Say for example, I have a DVD player which produce progressive scan. I I feed this with s-video through a line doubler, what happens?

I have a digital TV-box that gives ordinary interlaced video and that should of course benefit of getting through a line doubler. But shall I choose a DVD-player without progressive output to be able to feed it through the same doubler?

You see, I want the Pioneer Home Theater Reciever/Amplifier to choose via its remote control all the s-video units and give the out s-video to the line doubler and finally out to the crt-projector.

Regards,
Ralph

Essenetially they are the same thing!
A line doubler is a de-interlacer!

Usually when you use the S-video connector on the back of a prog scan DVD player, you are still outputting interlaced - you need to use the component connections to get progressive output!

It sounds like you have it all set up correctly, in terms of both DVD and STB outputting interlaced to the Pioneer amp, which then switches the relevant signal to the doubler/PJ.

De-interlacing techniques have advanced over the years though - if you are using an old "doubler", and your DVD player is recent and decent, you may get a much better picture by feeding it's progressive component outputs directly to the PJ (in other words, the DVD player's "doubler" may be better than your offboard one)

MikeK said:
Essenetially they are the same thing!
A line doubler is a de-interlacer!

Usually when you use the S-video connector on the back of a prog scan DVD player, you are still outputting interlaced - you need to use the component connections to get progressive output!

It sounds like you have it all set up correctly, in terms of both DVD and STB outputting interlaced to the Pioneer amp, which then switches the relevant signal to the doubler/PJ.

De-interlacing techniques have advanced over the years though - if you are using an old "doubler", and your DVD player is recent and decent, you may get a much better picture by feeding it's progressive component outputs directly to the PJ (in other words, the DVD player's "doubler" may be better than your offboard one)

OK, thanks Mike!

I did not know that progressive outpot did not go out through the s-video, not through the composite video either I suppose! Why is it so?

My proj, DB600 does not have component input therefore I have to use an external line doubler, Zinwell ProV PV-100, that I got cheap (£40). I have not seen a converter between component and RGBs yet.

With this I hope to get good quality both from the DVD and the digital tv box. Now you can see the hor lines pretty clear, specially when the scene moves, when the scene is still, it looks much better.

I did'nt know that progressive output from a DVD only was available trough component output. As you understand, I want to feed my proj with true RGBs and not composite.

I have noticed that when looking at different TV-channels, some are VERY sharp and other ar more or less out of focus. This must be the effect of my picture is 80 inch! On an ordinary tv set with 28 inch the pic is of course sharp on most of the channels.

It should be interesting to see the effect of the line doubler. Arrives today. The guy who sold me the PV-100 had purchased a new iSCAN Pro but did not see any noticable difference from what the PV-100 produced! Sounds promising.

Cheers,

Ralph

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom