1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan - a simple question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NickHack, Apr 29, 2005.

1. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "To deliver progressive scan
    pictures you need a compatible DVD player, plasma screen and the same
    three phono cables used in YUV component video."

Just read this on homecinemachoice website. I'm looking to buy a new DVD player and hopefully a PV500 soon. I was planning to connect to the plasma via a syncblaster (into VGA socket). Can some kind soul cofirm my understanding that I would connect my SKY via Syncblaster to the TV and would have to connect DVD via component. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Would I be right in thinking that connecting via DVI or HDMI would be an alternative to component that would still allow PS?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    your dvd doesn't need to do ps if your plasma is ps...also component is good but the pv500 is an hd screen and has hdmi.....sync blaster is fine for sky but the js rgb to vga is better

3. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the syncblaster is a lot cheaper than the js technolgy rgb to vga converter, is it really worth the extra money for the js (especially consideinr gthe extra cables involved)? Or does the js actually add to PQ somehow?

thanks for any help - I'm still agonising over cables for a 37" PW7. Thanks for any opinions ......

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    i've got both and the js is definitely better...just does a better job of it, whether its worth the extra is hard to say...i didn't regret it.....I have a spare js box and and a spare sync blaster that i may put in the classifieds by the way

5. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You read my mind MEP! I've just got back from EBay (looking what I can sell the SynBlaster for) :oops: and JS website seeing what I need to buy. If there's even a possibility I can get just a slightly better PQ when I finally get round to making a decision on what panel to get then I'm there!!

As I say I don't even have the panel yet but if you get round to selling the JS box, drop me a PM. Cheers.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    will do nick

7. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    yeah, I'd be interested in that too, I'll look out for you in sales - what panel are you getting Hack?

8. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't even start me....!!!

I was very close to getting the PWD7 (VERY close!). Bottled at the last minute for a coupla reasons - main one being that in 2 years mates will probably have HD TV and I'll be stuck with something that won't be able to do it justice! So now I'm eagerly waiting for reviews of the PV500 out in a coupla weeks. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking that I've invested in all these speakers and cables. Do I really want a screen with tuner and speakers (and associated extra cost) built in?? So pending an answer to that I may be waiting for the PHD8 (I think that's what Horny Dragon said it would be) which will be panel only, out in September :(

One day I'll get round to buying a plasma!! One day!!!

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the pv500 looks good...but personally i much prefer the panel and seperates approach...it's just more fun....and you're always tweaking and changing bits to keep it interesting...in 2 years you'll be buying another screen anyway ;-)

10. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the bloke I spoke to at Keene Electronics told me that there wasn't going to be a PW8 or is that different to the PHD8?

11. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember which thread it was but I was asking about the possibility of Panasonic releasing a 'business' panel-only panel to mirror the PV500 in the way that the PWD7 partnered the pW7. HD said the model number and that it would be released in Autumn but I can't be sure if he said it was the HD8 or some other model (So many threads, so little time!!)

If I come across it I'll add it here

12. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0