1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive scan & a JVC AV42PD20ES Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tim Cooper, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi All,
    I recently posted a thread with regards to what dvd player to buy for a mate's JVC AV42PD20ES plasma TV, I assumed it could not take a progressive signal because it had no component inputs, however it does have a VGA input so my question is, can i connect a progressive enabled dvd player to the VGA input?
    Secondly, if it is feasible to connect a progressive dvd player to this display, which do you recommend? (up to £500)
    The blurb on the TV is HERE
    All advice etc greatly app'd
    Cheers.
    Tim.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It seems it's not feasible to input progressive scan via any ordinary DVD player. Some high end players have a vga output, I'm not sure whether these would work, as the list of signal inputs and synchronizations is pretty limited. A player with a good RGB scart output will offer the best picture, how about a Toshiba? Well priced, and the RGB results are good in the price range.

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Cheers MAW,
    I thought by having a VGA input & the panel is ready to accept VGA signals from a PC, that that input could in fact accept a progressive signal, unless of course the plasma "downgrades" the progressive signals to an interlaced signal.
    Looks as if i'm going to have to email JVC.
    Thanks again.
    Tim.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mild misunderstanding. I don't doubt the vga port can accept prog signal from a source, just the range of resolution and synch is so limited. I don't know what the vga output is like on these players, and you're looking at the £1k+ price bracket. It won't accept the signal froma VGA converter, the only other option is a pro-v or similar, and they're not really quite up to the job for plasma, more like getting tv on a 15" monitor.

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi MAW,
    After more research it looks as if my mates going to be stuck with interlaced signal only, can you recommend a good player? i'm out of the loop so to speak as i use a hcpc so i'm not clued up on stand-alone dvd players, although it must be multi-region & be able to play all disc formats (dvd-r dvd-rw mp3 blah blah).
    Thjanks for your help.
    Tim.