1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive scan (480p) on non-modded UK XBox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Mr_Belowski, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi peeps :)

I'm considering getting a high-definition pack for my XBox so I can use progressive scan, but I still don't know for sure if a non-chipped UK XBox will display 480p mode.

I don't need any of the other high-res HDTV modes, but my projector looks a little jagged with the interlaced signal.

I keep hearing conflicting reports about this. Can any of you confirm for certain whether a standard PAL XBox with a high-def pack (component video) will allow me to use 480p mode without any modifications???

Thanks in advance,

Mr B

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Read the FAQ.

The Xbox supports Hi-Def pictures and progressive scan, unfortunately not on PAL consoles.
    It is possible to import a High Definition kit from the US, but on a PAL console it will only display a normal interlaced picture. There is a bug in earlier Xbox PAL consoles that once connecting a HiDef adaptor the options for HiDef become available, however, they do not actually do anything at all. Microsoft have fixed this bug in the Xbox Live update and in newly purchased consoles. the fix still allows a Hi-Def adaptor to be used but it will only display a 480i picture, the bug fix prevents the display of the hi-def options and the options that are available are the normal screen ratio and refresh rate [50hz/60hz] options.

The options for PAL owners is to install a mod-chip and use the region selection disc [although beware that XBox Live bans users with installed modchips] that enables the use of Hi-Def modes on some, but not all, PAL Games. This will of course work with NTSC games running on a mod-chip enabled console. Or you could import a US console which is the recommended solution.

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thanks for the info dude.

I think this is pretty disgraceful.

I'll trade in a few of my games to pay for having my XBox modded. *EDIT* I'm really annoyed at this :(

[edited for content by NeilMcRae]

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sell your PAL console and get a US one. Or just buy a US console, it won't be that much more than getting your current console moded.

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    True, but a modded console is much more flexible than a US one, I know a guy who can get me the chip, and I've got a spare 80 gig harddrive + fast broadband connection.

What did you edit out of my last post? Did I swear?