1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive pitcure quality????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dapex, Aug 4, 2003.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just a quick question folks. If i purchase a progressive scan dvd player for use with my projector, will i notice a big difference in picture quality or does it all depend on my projector??

Cheers in advance

Dave

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    It also depends on the player!

I've had Philips 963sa, Limit 9900SE, Cambridge Audio 57, Toshiba SD520E and seen a Panasonic S75 (Army Blokes one).

The Limit had no issues with PAL progressive, but the image was very soft. The CA57 wasn't much better in interlaced, but had a fine net curtain effect on PAL PS. NTSC PS distorted in bright scenes on my pj.

Both the Tosh And Pany had excellent NTSC PS output though. Both players are pretty detailed and artefact free in interlaced, and the improvement in NTSC PS is noticable.

If you want good PAL PS, you may have to go for something like the Harmon Kardon DVD25 which gets good reviews. There are a few other players out there with PAL PS, but I've not seen them.

If your projector has a poor deinterlacer, then PS should help improve the image. What projector do you have?

Gary.

3. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't bother with Prog Scan. Although the picture is sharper it causes all kinds of lip sync issues. I bought a Philips 963sa when I got my PT100 as I had heard everyone raving on about how good Prog Scan was!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    As Gary says. It depends on the quality of your projector and also the quality of the proposed DVD player.

Gordon

5. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the help and advice