1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive PAL on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by prusling, Dec 24, 2002.

1. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm buying a plasma today - a progressive-compatible Hitachi 32" 852*1024 which is supposed to have an intelligent upscaler from 576p to 1024.

I already have a couple of good but non-progressive DVD players; I can't really justify spending £100's more on a replacement DVD player at this stage, and there seem to be very few which yet support PAL pro - essential as most of my collection is region 2...

An option I am considering is to use my PC (fortunately situated fairly close to the plasma) with a SigmaDesigns XCard (£80). These are currently limited to 480p, but there is a fix to enable 576p via VGA out, and an update to enable 576p via component is expected.

Has anyone experience of this card with a progressive display, or other suggestions for PAL pro on the cheap?!

Thanks, Peter

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Hmm.. I wouldn't chase PAL progressive too hard as it probably isn't the best signal to feed your display with anyway as it is not a progressive display.

The Hitachi with 852x1024 resolution is based on the interlaced ALiS glass from Fujitsu and it performs best with an interlaced signal.

Mark