1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive is doing my head in..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by museumsteve, Feb 11, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Following on from getting my US Xbox with Hi-Def kit and thinking about upgrading my PJ (currently Sony CS3)..where does progressive start.?
    I'm more interested in movies and I have a Pioneer 939-A (progressive) DVD player, but I notice that all talk of progressive seems to start at 720p. If so what is 480p and will my CS3 do it.? If not and I upgrade PJ to say a VW10HT, will that do it.
    Progressive is very new to me, but with DVD players and consoles going this way I want to be getting the most out of it all.
    Xbox seems to start at 480p, so what PJ would cope with this..
    I will get the hang of this..honest..:)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Steve:

Go to top of page and move cursor over "official forums of" then move it to right and pick progressive scan. This will explain what it is for you.

All fixed pixel projectors work by displaying an image progressively. So you already have progressive displayed. Big differences in picture quality come though in how turning a native interlace signal to progressive is done. Most often external boxes are better at this than the bit inside the projector. You also need to uses different methods of conversion depending on whether the image is static, video based or film based.

If the original source material was progressive in nature (ie film and possibly video games) then sending the original progressive information to the display is always the best idea. 720P is bandied about as it is one of the resolutions specified for HDTV playback in USA. 480P is mentioned as it is what progressive NTSC DVD is.

You need to check that your projector will accept 480P resolution. I do not know. A VPL10/11 will accept, 480P, 720P and 1080i(the XBOX hi-def pack outputs).

Hope this helps,

Gordon