1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Inputs to CRT TVs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Welwynnick, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Most discussion of scalers and de-interlacers has revolved around application with projectors and flat panels displays.

I recall there were a few big CRT TVs, Toshiba or Panasonic, that could actually accept PAL progressive component inputs.

Does anyone have any successful experience of using these with a scaler or de-interlacer?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Not knowingly tried it (I'm sure a few of the big 37"+ CRT's we have used for exhibitions and the like are NTSC Progressive compatible via YUV) - seems daft anyway; the TV will convert the Frames back to Fields.

Best regards

Joe

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    most will take 1080i (JVC 36P38 will take 1080i signal and looks pretty good with Xbox.....

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    My God, you're right! I never came across anything that did that before. I knew some Toshiba and Panasonic sets had component progressive inputs, will they take the higher horizontal scanning rates (30 or 60 kHZ); I can't find any detailed specs. But it sounds like that JVC can take the higher scanning rate of a good PC monitor, with the convenience of a TV. It must have the best TV picture yet. I was looking for a good day-to-day TV to fill in for a special-occasions-only CRT PJ. Kind of what I was hoping.

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Not sure if I've got the right end of the stick here, but I have a Toshiba Picture Frame 36" WS TV, (PF3 I think - I only got in Jan, courtesy of the special price from Currys, it's a 36ZP46), which accepts a PAL progressive signal from a DVD player on it's component inputs.
    I have no idea though whether it would take a 1080 signal from an X-Box (don't have one) - as it's not mentioned in the manual then I suspect not (though it doesn't seem to mention PAL progressive specifically either - the manual is a bit pants TBH).

I also can't really comment from any long term experience of viewing like this (I rarely watch DVDs on it), but the picture does seem a bit "crisper" than when being fed an interlaced PAL DVD signal (ie turning progressive off on the DVD player) - it's not night and day though!

No idea what the TV does with this progressive signal internally, as I rarely use the component input for anything other than occasional DVD viewing (the kids mainly), I've never really bothered to try to find out.
    It does say though that all operating modes are 100Hz, except it's internal prog scan setting (presumably where it deinterlaces standard interlaced TV internally), which it says is 50Hz.
    This would seem to indicate that it does actually use an internal horizontal scan rate of 31.25kHz, as opposed to the usual 15.625KHz for standard 50Hz interlaced PAL, although someone more familiar with the internals of a CRT set would have to confirm this!

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Sounds promising, MikeK. TVs and cheap monitors only have a horizontal scan rate of 15.625 kHz. Really good displays accept over 100kHz. Sounds like this is a step in the right direction, so maybe progressive PAL TVs will generally accept 1080@25i. That new JVC "European TV of the Year" may not be such an advance after all, thoug.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its down to JVC DIST technology and is quitye good the CRT tube the use is the Quintrix SR from PAnny (JVC=Panny) and is 1080i native (or close) the US equivalent of the panny PD30 also takes 1080i but not the Euro model!!! not sure about the PD50
    the JVC HV-36P38 (to give it its full title) was £800 a while back (bargain or what) the HV-32/28D40 and HV-32/28P37 also take 1080i but not 720p IIRC they use a 33KHz horizontal and 75Hz vertical refresh and it works quite well, as i say a mate has one and despite being HUGE (he had 33" 4:3 Panny before) and very heavy with aslightly cheap casing and stand the inputs choice is superb!!!! 3 scarts + side-AV input and COMPONENT (which takes 480p, 576p and 1080i, i think it will take 576i as well but not 100%)