1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressive inputs on Philips 30" LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Jan 26, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Hi

Similar to the post about VGA inputs, but I thought it'd be handy as a separate thread.

Can people post here what results they've had feeding progressive scan into their 30pf9975? Both VGA and Component. i.e.

component
    480p
    576p
    720p
    1080i
    1080p

VGA
    480p
    576p
    720p
    1080i
    1280x768 WXGA.

Some of these are mentioned in the user manual, others are mentioned in the leaflet, so I'd like to know what the real results are.

I'll try and play sometime with my PC with WMVHD, and maybe my Xbox.

2. nrmsmith

nrmsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Pioneer 565A DVD player. It doesn't work with the Philips 30PF9975 at all. :(

The Philips doesn't accept 576i (PAL Interlaced) and the Pioneer won't output 576p (PAL Progressive) only NTSC Progressive (480p).

So currently I can't use the component video connections. Very annoying.

When you've had time to play with your new LCD, I'd be interested in the "Personal" settings you choose for day to day viewing. (I started a thread for this somewhere else).

Cheers
    Nigel

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    sure, no problem. I'm having trouble finding settings too. Keep wanting to turn the active stuff off, but can't work out a good combination, and it doesn't help setting up with AVIA etc, when the active bits are changing it all the time.

Have you got a link to your thread for me to post in? Keep it all together.

4. nrmsmith

nrmsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, just bought the thread to the top again, and input my "current" best settings ...

Nigel

PS Have you investigated the teletext features yet? The speed of finding pages from a 1200 page buffer has to be seen to be believed - and the search function is really useful!

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    teletext is indeed fantastic. It seems to just cache everything as it comes along. So much nicer to browse subpages when you want.

I'm also surprised by the quality of the analogue tuner. My Tivo output can seem poor by comparison.

I'm really trying to get settings that can tone down the Tivo output, which can be overly bright.

6. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Richard,

I can't speak for the 30" Philips as I have the 17" 17PF445. This doesn't have component inputs but does have VGA. I have been experimenting with getting HD signals through the VGA socket using an Xbox and and X2VGA component to VGA convertor (for more details see www.x2vga.com). The HD modes are only available on the Xbox in NTSC mode and as such operate at 60Hz rather than the 50Hz for PAL.

I successfully managed to display the following modes from the xbox:
    480p 60Hz
    1080i 60Hz

Picture in both modes was rock solid and very sharp. It is quite interesting to compare the VGA input with the dedicated video inputs. Since the VGA socket bypasses much of the units internal video processing, you get a very clear picture indeed without any of the noise reduction/ artificial sharpening.

Additionally using a CYP YUV to RGB converter and a CYP sync separator I was able to get 576p 50Hz to work as well. This combination would not work for the higher resolutions and was slightly fuzzy probably due to the stacking of converters.

I am hoping to mod the X2VGA by fitting an external power supply and replacing the xbox connector with phono sockets so that it can accept other component inputs. This would allow me to use a normal DVD player for progressive playback.

Hope this is of some help.

Ross