1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by schneider3, Dec 26, 2001.

1. schneider3

schneider3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just bought a Mitsubishi HDTV ready widescreen set and now looking for a dvd player. I was told that since we have HDTV we should go with a progressive scan dvd. While looking on the internet I noticed some say 480p while others say they are progressive yet do not mention this as one of the features. Are all progressive dvd players 480p or is this a feature I need to specifically look for on the dvd? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    480p is the number of lines in an NTSC signal. You also see 480i. The p stands for progressive and the i stands for interlaced. PAL progressive signals are 576P. So the answer is a progressive DVD player will be 480p and if it can be hacked ala Denon 2800 then it will also be 576p.

Hope that answers your question but there are far greater experts on this than me on this forum.

Darren

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm no expert!

480i (Standard)
    480p (Standard)

720p (High-Def)
    1080i (High Def)

All High Definition TV's are compatible with the 480p standard, Simply buy a DVD Player that can output Progressive, as it will be 480p. The 720p is a standard you'll see on High Definition DVD Players which won't be available for a few years, neither will the discs!