1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive day for the Catholic Church

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ethics Gradient, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I was marginally suprised, but they seem to have elected a German rap singer as Pope....

.... I was expecting them to pick conservative anti gay, anti contraception NUTTER .... but obviously the new pope will be ' keeping it real '. Picking a german is probably a back hander for the chatholic church helping out the Nazi's in WWII.

Lucky we'd didn't get some old fascist that was in the Hitler youth or some such.

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Phew! :eek: You really don't mind sticking your chin out do you Ethics?! :D

3. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

4. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    You forgot 'beethoven loving''. A beethoven loving rap singer.

Apart from that you were spot on :D

Quality headline from the Sun tomorrow I see in the news.....Papa Ratzi. :rolleyes:

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yeah nice to see they're looking long term with this guy who I'm sure we can all relate to (if I cared and if I was Catholic) :boring:

6. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

Im kinda fed up hearing about it as well :boring:

(no offense to any religious folk out there ;) )

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Well, he's 78, so I'm guessing they're thinking medium-term at most...

Cheers,
    Liam

8. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He was born in 1927, every boy his age was put into the Hitler youth, he was about 8 years old at the time, i'm sure you would have made an informed anti Nazi decision at that age but sadly he didn't.
    Everyone who was alive at that time is still a Nazi i suppose.

On the other hand i do agree that he is not the best choice they could have made, very conservative to put it mildly.

9. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    At least he's not a Satanists...................... :rolleyes:

10. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You know the TV and press have covered the Pope's death etc for days leading up to it and the a week or so after and then the new Pope story..... with this guy being 78... it wont be long until we are seeing it again. :(

...and I thought Eastenders was bad!!! :D

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I think the post you refer to was made with the tongue in the mouth.

12. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Apparently he denounced homoseuxuals last year. Can't see him being any better than the last one.

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Shouldn’t they have gone for someone younger? I would have thought stability is one of the most important things here.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    It was obvious that the German was going to be announced as Pope, his beach towel had been hanging off the balcony for the last few days ;)

15. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Is it just me or does he bare a passing likeness to Lesley Nielsen from Police Squad/Naked Gun. Screw your eyes up a little.

Attached Files:

16. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

.... 14yrs old actually ... if you are going to rebutt my satire, at least do it acurrately ;)

His neighbour was a conscientious objector and was sent to Dachau

Neighbour at the time: ' Elizabeth Lohner, 84, whose brother-in-law was sent to Dachau as a conscientious objector, dismiss such suggestions. “It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others,” she said. “The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.” '

In 1937 another family a few hundred yards away in Traunstein hid Hans Braxenthaler, a local resistance fighter. SS troops repeatedly searched homes in the area looking for the fugitive and his fellow conspirators. “When he was betrayed and the Nazis came for him, Braxenthaler shot himself because he knew he couldn’t escape,” said Frieda Meyer, 82, Ratzinger’s neighbour and childhood friend. “Even though they had tortured him in Dachau concentration camp he refused to give up his resistance efforts.”

it must have been later in life after he spent time trying to shoot down British planes in WWII that he 'saw the light' and became ready to be 'Gods representative on Earth'

...... but that must have been after 2000......

"He upset many Jews with a statement in 1987 that Jewish history and scripture reach fulfilment only in Christ — a position denounced by critics as “theological anti-semitism”. He made more enemies among other religions in 2000, when he signed a document, Dominus Jesus, in which he argued: “Only in the Catholic church is there eternal salvation”. "

1927 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2000
    born --> hitler youth --> trying to shoot down British planes --> being labeled a "Theological anti-semite" --> POPE (2005)

....I think he might have been uncredited for backing vocals on NWA's '**** the Police' on the Straight outta Compton LP in 1990 .... but I might be mistaken :rotfl:

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I'm sure there's much political thinking goes into the selection of a very conservative pope who won't be around for too long. Maybe it's to make the next one seem better?

Cheers,
    Liam

18. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Heard a nice quote on the radio this morning about the Catholic church needing a good shepherd to tend its flock not a German Shepherd!

19. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    “Only in the Catholic church is there eternal salvation”.

Which makes his vow today about unifying all Christians even more telling. Appears then that he's vowing he's going to make everyone RCs.

The start of another right wing agenda?

20. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone see this article on the BBC? Makes an interesting read. The new pope - let's wait and see how he does. That said, at 78 years old and being Pope John Paul II right hand man for 20 years we are unlikely to see any radical changes

21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I could have sworn that it says in the bible anyone claiming to be closer to god, or god's representative on earth is the anti-christ.

And why is it wrong for a Christian to denounce homosexuals? The bible states that laying with another man is an abomination to the lord!

I am neutral when it comes to homosexuality, but if you believe in someone like Jesus so strongly, then you would tend to believe the bible's teachings.

22. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    True, I guess I don't believe the Bible.

PS, nice Avatar.

23. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    No, but there's a hell of lot who are. ;) Resistance to the 3rd Reich was minimal, as after 33' he had mass support. Hitlers actions were put to 'free' plebicites on pulling out of the LoN, and occupation of the Rheinland, and he given massive backing by huge turnouts. Read 'Hitlers willing executioners' (and others) on just how many knew, and how few opposed.

The Catholic Churches record as EG states, is not good on the Holocaust and it aftermath. Sneaking former SS officers to South America via the 'papal route' (priests in Croatia with Vatican approval) is a serious no no.

24. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    As a Catholic (non practicing) I was a little bit shocked at all the excitement and media coverage of John Paul IIs death and the subsequent appointment of this new fella.

I admit that John Paul II seemed to be a nice man, but he was very conservative and didn't really push the Church forward into our more modern times. Church attendances are falling all over Europe (believe its booming in Brazil and Africa though) and there were many big issues that needed addressing but weren't.

Main one would be the spread of AIDS. And still the Church won't condone the use of condoms, especially in Africa where it threatens to reach epidemic proportions. It needs to move with the times.

Next problem was child abuse. This annoyed me especially as I am Irish and so much of it went on here. I can't understand how the Church tried to brush it under the capet so much and let so many priests off with their sins. In my mind these people were the lowest form of life and carried out criminal activities and should have been hunted down by the Police and put away for a long time - like they deserved. You can't defend actions like this. IMHO it time that priests were allowed to marry (might help the dwindling numbers applying yo join the priesthood as well).

Now on the the media coverage. I couldn't understand it all. I think it just highlighted the dumbing down of modern TV. As I have said already the last Pope seemed to be a nice man but did he really do enough to warrant 3 million people making their way to Rome for his funeral? My own thoughts are that it was the rank masses of the 'TV generation' that felt that they JUST HAD TO get to Rome because it was a big event.

I mean look at the announcement of the new Pope yesterday. Thousands of people cheering like idiots at the appearance of smoke from a little chimney and TV reporters coming out with as many cliches as they could. The crowd then went mad when the new guy walked out on to the balcony. Cheering and whooping like they were at a Michael Jackson concert. How sad. People breaking down in tears!! They have very sad lives if they find this stuff overwhelming.

And the TV coverage!! Hours and hours of talking about nothing. Again its just the modern TV news way - they will chat for hours about anything (suppose you have to when you have 24hours a day to fill). I can't understand why so much time was devoted to it in the UK news - since the UK isn't even a Catholic nation. Iraq must be boring now?

Anyway, thats the rant nearly over. Final thought is on the new guy. He's even more conservative that the last one. So hardly the guy to bring the Church forward into the 21st century. They have to make major adjustments over the next few decades I believe if they aren't to kill the Church off for good. The world is now more obsessed with money, wealth, possessions, celebrities, TV, sex and having a good time than ever before. A Church going backwards rather than forwards is killing itself.

25. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I'm reminded of the Dead Kennedy's track ' Nazi Popes, **** off '

Pope ain't no religious cult
    Pope means thinking for yourself
    You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair
    When a jock still lives inside your head

Nazi Pope
    Nazi Pope
    Nazi Pope-'go away impolitely'

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thing is though SOK, the Church is bigger in Africa and South America than anyone else. They had to appease those overtly conservative masses, as thats where all the fanbase, if you will, is.

I couldn't give a toad's tadge about the church, but its the biggest thing since aids over there mate.

27. jooroo

jooroo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is

Your Papal Name is Pope John Paul III

You would continue the Conservative traditions of recent years and continue the work of John Paul II... In fact, are you sure you aren't Cardinal Ratzinger?

Papal Name

28. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thats the most sensible argument i've seen yet.
    How can any self respecting religion continue a policy that is actually causing the infection and eventual death of thousands of people.
    Using the fear of GOD to bully people in to doing something thats not good for them.

The Catholic Church, biggest murder's on the planet earth today :mad:

Last time I made a verbal statement along those lines in Public I was suddenly hit with a sharp stabbing pain from my insides out like i've never felt before.
    Made me stop and think for a while but guess it must have been an amazing coincidence as apposed to the finger of God. :D

29. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    depends where god's finger was mate ;)

30. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Ethics Gradient gets a 1 month ban from the AV Forums. You asked for it - you got it.