1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive component with 26 inch LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DRowe, May 20, 2005.

1. DRowe

DRowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony GRX500 freeview and dvd player/recorder as a source. The unit will output RGB scart and non progressive component. I am keen to get a 26" LCD and would be interested to hear from your experiences:
    1. how much better is component vs RBG scart input
    2. Would a progressive component give me very noticibe improvements on non progressive component with such a small set?

Cheers.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There is little to choose between component YUV and RGB - some display may have one input optimised over other but other than that, most people would not notice any quality differences. SCART connectors are not a perfect connection method but they are more than adequate for most people and you would be hard pressed to tell apart a SCART connected lead against another method of termination, at modest budget levels. In my book, component is better because it gives you more options and you will often find that quality AV equipment is more likely to switch component than RGB.

Where component YUV does score over RGB is that progressive output is often available. Whether this will give you any benefit is totally dependant on whether the source or the display had the better deinterlacer, assuming that you are not feeding it a native progressive signal. In my book, the source often is the better of the two, but there are, as usual, exceptions. It is the same thing with scaling, is the source or the display better.

-Ian

3. DRowe

DRowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian - Thanks for the reply.

The Sony box has no progressive output so I assume that I am stuck with an interlaced signal feeding the TV even if this has progressive component inputs?

As the TV will mostly be used for broadcast TV rather than DVD I guess that it makes little difference as I don't seem to remember any freeview boxes that have progresive component outputs anyway!