1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive component vs HDMI (on Z3 - R0ne are you there?!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Supersonic, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I compared DVD playback via:

1) My Pioneer 575A outputting progressive component and
    2) my PC outputting 1280x720p (Radeon 9800 Pro, DVI-to-HDMI cable into the Z3), using TheaterTek as the player, with FFDSHOW rescaling the DVD to 1280x720

and I couldn't see much difference at all. Have I missed something here - everyone raves about HDMI.

Any thoughts?

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    There are two settings for HDMI on the Z3, which one r you using? I'm using L1 with gamma in Theatertek set to 75 using overlay. Set my desktop to outpot 1280X720 and use ffdshow to resize by a factor of 1.5 with Lancose set to 2 and a little bit of sharpening. The difference between that and component progressive is huge imo. Component is much softer with less vibrant colours and (to my eyes) poorer contrast/shadow detail

Conor

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Have you tried component from the Pio 575? It's the dog's conkers IMHO - sharp, vibrant, better than DVI on the Samsung 745. I'm about to try out DVI on that Oppo DVD player everyone is raving about so will be able to say whether it's simply a soft pic on the 745.

However there is *no way* I can imagine anyone describing the Pio's PQ as "much softer" vs anything - HTPC included. It is simply that good...PJ :)

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No, I only have experience with my own Progressive player. But regardless of the quality of the DVD player, if the pj is receiving component, it's doing the scaling and I do not believe (just my opinion, not based on fact in the case of the 575:) )that this can not hold a candle to picture quality from a PC outputting 1280X720. Adding FFDShow to the mix can only improve matters more.

Conor

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'd be interested seeing a HTPC, I'm sure the results can be stunning...PJ :)

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    TX - you really need to see a scaler or a video processor!!!! The pixel perfect look from a good processor is far more significant than just a good strong prog scan feed. A bad processor, even if perfectly pixel matched, could introduce its own errors or issues tho. The softness thing though can even happen with the most expensive of DVD players, if the projectors own final upscaling is poor (or again, incorrectly setup).

Supersonic - I'd get on the HTPC forum and apply some of the tips and tricks they've got floating around there to get the right combination of software and settings. Then make sure you have calibrated both inputs as best you can using AVIA or DVE or similar for a fair comparison. I think you will find far more detail and depth using the PC powered solution over the DVD (even though I do agree the 575 produces an image not unlike the old £400+ Pio 656).

7. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks - I have the Pio 575 set with BNR on and Sharpness to 'Fine' and it does seem very good via prog scan component, so it sounds like there are improvements to be had with the PC side (trying to find a stable version of FFDSHOW is one issue).