1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive causes solarisation

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sniffer66, May 11, 2005.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,219
    I Have a Panny PW5 driven by my HTPC.

I used to connect DVD and SKY+ via a scart-component converter and didnt see ANY solarisation

I've since started using an HTPC (Sweetspot RGBs from SKY+) and whatever progressive resolution I feed the plasma I now see solarisation on certain scenes (esp football pitch grass and sold colour, out of focus backgrounds)
    Obviously the overall PQ from the HTPC is better than component/svid, but its a little annoying.

Can anyone explain why I get solarisation only on a progressive signal ?

Thanks

2. Carl Ed

Carl Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your plasma is a progressive display, so one way or another it has to be deinterlaced.

There are two things that might be causing it; one, it might be that the displays internal processing is doing something to progressive signals it shouldn't be, and two, your HTPC might be the thing causing it.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm presuming you're referring to posterisation here, that's areas of banded colours instead of a smooth continuous change in tone, solarisation is an image processing technique causing a negative-like appearance. These two terms are commonly confused.

Do you see this when you're watching on the PC's monitor? What colour depth are you using? How are you connecting? What colour depth is your dekstop?

4. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,219

I used to be confused between the 2 but someone on here put me straight. I'm actually seeing a shimmer (almost cartoon like) on the cut/mown delineated areas of grass football pitches. I can also see this shimmer on out of focus backgrounds of a single colour (white is the worst) , I understand this to be solarisation but please correct me if I'm wrong

I'm connected from Sky+ via RGBs Van Damme cable, into Sweetspot, Dscaler (Tomsmocomp but I get the problem whatever algorithm) , analogue VGA (Nvidia 6600-(Lindy Gold) to the PW5. I've tried an ATI 9600 so I know its not the card

I dont see the problem on a standard CRT monitor so have to assume its the plasma. If I svid from sky to plasma I lose the problem !!

Colour depth is 32 bit and I've got 1:1 mapping

Thanks