1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progressice scan ???? answers please.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by briandzo, Jan 5, 2003.

1. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just been reading the benefits of prog scan.

can all tellys process this method all does it have to
    be built into the set.

i note that the dvd player has to have the
    design built into it.

but im not sure about the display.

ive a toshiba 32zp18Q widescreen model.
    would this work with a prog dvd player ?

also can anyone comment on why the dvd images on my pc
    look so much better than watching on the telly.

my pc dvd only cost £50..ive a hardware decoding graphic card
    and a nice 19inch illyama monitor.
    infact pretty well specced pc.
    but i would have expected betted images
    from the living room kit.

i know the pc can display more lines..but is this the only
    reason why it looks better.

i tell you its leagues better..
    the detail and resolution is so clearer

thanks

brian...

2. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just found this report...

Televisions create images by scanning a beam of light across the phosphor coating on the face of the cathode ray tube. This is done in two sweeps which creates two fields, each lasting 1/50sec. These fields are interlaced to produce a single frame of 1/25sec duration. It's the slight difference between the fields that causes flicker, visible line structure and artefacts such as feathering (jagged edges) and shimmering horizontal lines.

With progressive scanning each frame is produced by a single sweep lasting 1/25sec. This eliminates flicker and artefacts, and reduces line structure. The most common sources of progressively scanned images are selected DVD players, high-end TVs and camcorders. At present only NTSC-compatible DVD decks with component video connections can output progressively scanned material. Prog scan is not available from PAL discs because of an as-yet-unresolved licensing problem.

You do not need a prog scan TV to watch prog scan DVD images, but you do need component video inputs or a non-interlaced display device such as an LCD projector or plasma screen. Prog scan TVs are not as effective as prog scan DVD players.

not sure how old this...
    is it still true that prog scasn not avail in pal
    i notice denon sell prog scan dvd'd

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

You've answered your own question in your second post but I'll just add the following,

"can all tellys process this method all does it have to be built into the set".
    Very few tv's have this and it has to be built into the set. The tv needs to be able to scan at twice the rate that's required for regular broadcasts. The new strata tv's from toshiba have this facility on their component inputs but will currently only work with progressive ntsc as pal is not yet 'available.'
    Some other tv's (Loewe) have this capability.

i note that the dvd player has to have the
    design built into it but im not sure about the display.
    Yes, the dvd player contains a chip that 'deinterlaces' the picture. You could also get this chip built into the tv but it's currently (mainly) available in projector systems. However, the tv still needs to scan to twice the standard rate to handle the output from the dvd player.

also can anyone comment on why the dvd images on my pc look so much better than watching on the telly.
    That's because you're looking at an image that's been line doubled (progressive) and 'scaled' to match the display resolution that you've set.
    However, a sensible thing to do would be to set your pc screen to 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 that will allow you to compare with a progressive (ntsc or pal) input on a tv.
    Many people (usually with projection systems) prefer the output from a pc for watching dvds.

Hope that helps