1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programming Harmony blew my amplifier!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by mjbarnard, Dec 27, 2004.

1. mjbarnard

mjbarnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A cautionary tale!

I was setting up a Harmony 655 with my plasma television, dvd home cinema system and Sky+. The kit was only a couple of months old. It took some time to get to grips with the best way of selecting plasma and dvd input cycling. In the end I opted for Ikki's method of programming specific AV inputs to channels on the television.

During this period I updated and changed the Harmony configuration many times. The DVD screen is difficult to see from the other side of the room and I pressed volume up several times when in fact the DVD system was set to the wrong input for the chosen activity. I must have got it up to full volume without realising it. Unfortunately using the Harmony Help button then changed the input to the correct one - and at some point I must have put full volume through the amp (which is separate to the DVD box). I didn't hear it - but it obviously blew the amp - and stopped working. Apparently this is known to occur with JVC systems.

Now I don't blame Harmony for this - it is obviously a fault of the sound system. However I do believe that unfortunately my programming efforts caused it to happen. I have replaced the amp - and it works fine. I just thought others might like to be wary - keep an eye on the volume when setting up your remotes!