1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Programme to convert Audio CD to MP3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by roystonb, Sep 24, 2005.

1. roystonb

roystonb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I’m very new to MP3, but was hoping that you might help me with a problem of sorts.

I have a number of audio CD’s that I wish to convert to MP3, and place them onto one MP3 CD. (I hope that makes sense :rolleyes: ). It will save me carrying several discs in the car.

Can you suggest what programmes I will need buy in order to do that?

Also are MP3 files a lot smaller than Audio CD files?

Any other help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Royston :thumbsup:

2. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ITunes does it and is free. Yot will get a lot more on the CD in this format, however you will only be able to play them in the car if the CD player supports MP3's.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing you're a PC user? If you look in the settings in Windows Media Player (you can download the latest version 10 from Microsoft's site for free), you'll find it'll let you create MP3s, which can be played in some car stereos - check the manual of yours for details. If you have Windows XP, there's a function within it to let you create a DATA CD, rather than an audio one, which will put all your MP3s onto a CD effortlessly.

Good luck. :smashin:

4. Chris_J_0907

Chris_J_0907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All depends what rate you encode at too. IIRC a 128k encoded mp3 track is 4mb on average, so you can roughly get 175 tracks on a 700mb CD.

If you want really good sounding mp3, then encode it at 192k up, but obviously compression is as high. Most people tend to find that 128 is sufficient enough though.

5. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could use audiograbber too. It is free and easy to use.

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Windows media player 10 can also do it, at a max rate of 320 kbps, been using it to rip stuff to my PSP and it works well. :thumbsup:

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For best sound quality i use nero with lame encoder on 320 constant with the encoder set to slowest (Highest quality) setting. Gives very good results

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The choice depends on how many CD's you have to rip.

iTunes is among the quickest and also the most flexible in burning these to CD, since you can burn to a CD directly from iTunes. EAC + LAME is the slowest and the most accurate if you're ripping very high bitrate MP3's.

Since you're in-car, I guess you'll be going for a balance of quality and quantity. For ~192K ripping and burning, I'd suggest iTunes. Make sure you set that you want to create MP3 CD's in the preferences, and also set the MP3 bitrate you want to use.

You can set up the software to start automatically ripping when you put the CD in, and to spit it out when it's finished... so all you need to do literally is to swap discs. Once ripped, you create a playlist and dump whatever files you want into the playlist. Then you burn the playlist to disc.

www.apple.com/itunes

10. Churnobyl

Churnobyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    just started using audio convertor, works ok,recorded songs at 128kp and no real difference to cd when listened to on headphones in house, should be good for car.

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like shadow said. I think media player 10 is the best to use, its pretty accurate on the CD track info (need internet as they all do). Its probably the quickest ripper I have seen and it does a good job (compared to Sonicstage, Sony's transfer program). Just wait for the names to pop up before you press rip (it will have a dedicated rip tab at the top). To change the settings goto options and click the rip tab, change the naming format to something that suits you, make sure the number of the track is first.

On the computer at school, (better than mine by quite a bit), it ripped at supersonic speeds, the CD drive spun really fast and it completed the album in like 3 minutes, as far as I'm aware it didn't have any glitches or anything.

Rip at yeah 192kbps mp3. The the files will be in 'my music' in the my documents folder. From there just drag them to an empty CD - using the XP burner just right click on the folder with the songs and say send to: and select the drive letter of the blank CD. Just do it as if you were burning a data CD. Then open the CD and rename the folders with 1. or 2. or something in front of the Folders to order them the way you like, since it will play them in alphabetical order.

It should then play once you burn it. If you don't finalize it you can burn further tracks if you like.