Question Program to join 2 mp4 files without losing audio sync?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by funkydamo, Apr 5, 2016.

1. funkydamo

funkydamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi guys, I couldn't find an answer here, or in fact online anywhere!
    I have some video footage from years back which I had transferred to dvd and now trying to catalogue on memory stick.
    I have got as far as running through handbrake to compress and convert to mp4 with decomb in - and I'm happy with the results.
    My issue is though, there are some video files that I would like to group together and combine to 1 file.
    I don't want to upscale, so keeping to 720x576 and importantly keeping audio sync.
    Firstly is it possible at all? I mean without a very expensive and resource hungry video editing suite.
    If re - encoding is the only option then I will settle for that, but what I really want is to just join 2 files together.
    I have arcsoft which seems to work ok with some hd vids I have done recently on my phone but I don't seem to be able to choose to keep the dvd resolution - it wants to upscale to 720p or downscale to 480p. No option to keep the 576 res.

Has anyone had any luck with any free or cheap app or program? Surely there must be something out there that can cut and splice video with keeping the original quality and resolution

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    If this is a one off project then you could download & install the free trial of any of the popular editing suites - most of them offer a fully working 30 day trial.
    Once installed just load up a new project and add the files you want to join on the timeline. You then just export the timeline to the format you want and all files should play continuously and still be in sync with no upscaling etc. as long as you choose the correct settings for the output.

Mark.

3. funkydamo

funkydamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Thanks Mark I may have to take that route. Could you recommend one that isn't too greedy for ram and processor? I'm running 2.6ghz with 6gb ram - which the likes of Adobe and I think sony Vegas will probably not run on.
    Arcsoft is less hungry but just doesn't allow me to keep my original resolution.
    Thanks.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    For SD video any of the editing programs should handle the specs of your computer fine. It is normally when going to HD or 4K that low spec PC's start to struggle. So just go for one you have used before to save on learning it, but if none then choose any of them and give it a go.

Mark.

5. Music Fan

Music Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you simply wanna join 2 files without re-encoding, you can use Yamb, MKVMerge, TSMuxer, ffmpeg (in command line) ... which are free.