Program synopsis unavailable

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by HMHB, Apr 11, 2002.

1. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    At least once a week my Panasonic Sky Digibox comes up with that message when I press the info button - the only way to cure this is to unplug the box and then let it find the listings again. The box is about 18 months to 2 years old so out of warranty. Has anyone any idea what causes this ? Is it just my box or is it Sky ?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's a common problem, not sure if it's software or hardware related but as you know a reboot does the trick.
    Personally I think it's software, mainly because my old PACE never had a problem before the PP software was released.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    My Panasonic does the same thing. And just recently it's added a new trick: resetting itself for no apparent reason, presenting me with the Searching for Listings - Please Wait screen.

I'd say that the Synopsis Unavailable business happens maybe three times a week, the resets once a week.

If only I could train the thing to do an auto-reset every time the synopses disappeared...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    I wonder if it happens on the new sky+ boxes or if Sky are just trying to cram too much info into older boxes with not so much memory/processing power ?
    I also get the odd freeze up when changing channel rapidly. It's bad that we have to put up with such garbage really.
    When I spoke to Sky they said that I should switch the box off when not in use. How can this be done if I want to record an unattended program ... it just can't be done. You could do it easily with the old analogue boxes - they would switch on and off just like a vcr. It still feels like a step backwards in a few respects from the old analogue system.

5. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I have a Pace box which is 1 month old. I get a similar problem, every few days the digital text on the BBC and Sky channels stops working. I get the standard message that you would get on any other channel about pressing TV and then text to get analouge text.

The only solution is to switch off the box completely and reboot. Being new to this Sky lark I thought it was just something that happens - will contact Sky and complain and try and get a new box....

6. peterwt

peterwt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnG mentioned switching off and not being able to set timer. My Panasonic will come out of standby if autoview is set for a prog and then go back into standby.

Peter

7. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    Is yours a new Panasonic Peter ? Mine is a couple of years old - I wonder if it's worth trying on it when I get home. It would be nice to be able to power it off and have it come out of standby.

As a matter of interest - the sky "expert" told me that the boxes should be unplugged when not in use ! Very useful advise !

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth noting that some programmes actually DON'T have a synopsis available.

Not that I'm suggesting you'd ever watch them but it happens most commonly on the adult channel programmes :)

9. peterwt

peterwt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JohnG
    My "Silver" Panasonic is about 18 months old.
    I am suprised that Sky will tell you to power off. It will not then get software upgrades and Sky will not be able to get info on any Pay per View progs you have seen. I think they meant to say leave in standby.

I have the same problems as have been reported by others - i think they are mainly software related.

Peter