Progessive scan on 32ZD26

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Korum, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new on here so if this topic has been covered before
    please forgive me.

I've just bought a Tosh 32ZD26 and a cambridge Audio DVD 57, The problem is when i flick the DVD player into progessive scan mode, a lot of discs produce a distorted image along the top, it usually happens during light scenes and makes the image look like a dodgy VHS tape !

I know the TV only handles prog scan on NTSC discs, the cambridge player outputs prog scan on both NTSC and Pal so could this be the problem ? I'm using both NTSC and Pal DVD's BTW.

Is this a problem with a lot of these Tosh TV's or have I got a duff one (there's no chance of getting a replacement as this model is now discontinued) and can it be fixed somehow.

Just to add another point can anyone actually tell the difference between a true progessive scan image and an interlaced image with the sets progessive mode activated.It's exactly the same IMO.

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry that should be progressive scan not progessive, it's getting late you know !

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    wouldnt play I would say if it was pure progressive pal, but i think your model tv converts the pal progressive to ntsc progressive and thats were your problem could be (in the set). Aslo try the same pal disk interlaced not progressive and if it does the same problems then it is the disk not the tv.

4. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe this is a known issue with this TV, try doing a search on the forums, as this has been discussed before.

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, two questions, about the cambridge Audio DVD 57:
    1) does it have 'component' out?
    2) and does the documentaion mention 'progressive' Y, PB/PR ?
    This might be referred to as 525P (ie NTSC) output.

Your comments seem to suggest that the answer is yes to both. In the menu settings on my dvd player (see below), I can set the PAL/NTSC to auto. Check the options on yours.

Next, I'm assuming you are playing a 'Region 1' DVD disc. And that you are actually using a (RGB) component cable into the back of the Tosh telly.

So, the next thing is the setting on the telly:
    menu
    scan mode: progressive
    dnr: off

My NTSC discs work just fine, and the prog scan improvement is v.noticeable. Also, the PAL discs work OK, and IMO are better with the progressive (50Hz) setting.

sorry for the laboured checklist, but that is often the best way. Hope this helps.

btw, there are some great threads here on set-ups for the Tosh ZD26. Search and you shall find. The ones I was recommended (with, in brackets, the ones I now use having used my Avia disc) are:

Contrast: 50 (59)
    Brightness: 50 (60)
    Colour: 45 (40)
    Tint: -10 (-6)
    Sharpness: -20 (-10)

ditton

6. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the problem sorted out. I took the CA 57 back to Richer sounds and got a Tosh 520. I was expecting it to have the same problem on my set but it doesn't and looks stunning in progressive scan, shame the tosh only does NTSC though.

So the Cambridge Audio 57 has a serious problem when running in progressive scan mode and it looks like they may have to recall/update this model.

Thanks for all the advice:)