1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progessive scan causes flickering

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by patrik_f, Jan 1, 2005.

1. patrik_f

Nov 19, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all!
    I recently purchased a Toshiba SD-241E DVD-player to get component output to hook into my Toshiba 32WL48 LCD-panel.

I realise that the 241E is very cheap (I paid £55 at Currys), but still, using component output, it performs much better than my older Sony player (using s-video).

The 241E looks even sharper on progressive scan, but unfortunately introduces some kind of rapid flickering in areas of the picture. The LCD-panel's own deinterlacing doesn't have this problem at all, so I rely on that for now.
    (After reading up on deinterlacing I realise that this is a large can of worms to get right.)

I wonder what your experiences are with DVD-players' built-in deinterlacers -especially regarding flicker in static bakground areas- and other defects.

Any info on the Toshiba SD-241E would also be much appreciated!

P.S: Any tips on a good test for various deinterlacing problems? (Such as the chroma upsampling error.)

Best regards,